Prologue

Mates. Two people who are made for each other. In our ancient world having a mate was sacred and everyone accepted their mate whoever they may be. In the modern world, the one I live in, mates were sparse and rare. And even if you happen to find your mate, there's no guarantee that they'll accept you. There is only one pack where it's against their laws to reject your mate. They have the most success in finding their mates. Probably because the Alphas for generations have sent their pack member to each pack in the world. The current Alpha had to take the position at a very young age and therefore has yet to go find his mate. He's called Alpha Black. Everyone has forgotten his first name, and everyone is scared shitless of him. There are so many rumors about him, how he's the one who killed his parents and little sister. He kills children, women, warriors who aren't strong enough, and that he actually had a mate, who he then proceeded to kill with his bare hands. He's said to be a ruthless monster.

Everyone believes this, everyone but me. I never liked rumors much, they're unnecessary, mean, mostly untrue, and just ways to justify your actions towards someone who you don't like or doesn't think the same as you. I had been bullied at school in the early years of my life. That was until I got tired of being picked on and punch a kid in the nose. I got a lunch detention, because I was like 7 and that was the harshest punishment that they could think of for a seven year old who just broke a kids nose for pulling on my hair for the twentieth time. From then on I was known as the protector of the innocent and weak. I stood up for those who weren't there to do it for themselves, who couldn't, or who was to scared to.

So, of course there wasn't really any bullying in my high school because no one wanted to deal with me. And when people thought it was safe they would spout lies about Alpha Black, they thought I would share the same feelings because they were saying that he hurt the the innocent, and while I wasn't fond of the thought, I wasn't going to condemn a man because someone who knew nothing about him and has never actually seen him said something about him, so when people starting with the rumors about Alpha Black, I was quick to snuff out the spark.

No one had ever expected Alpha Black to leave his pack in search of his mate, so you can imagine my surprise when my alpha calls me into his office to tell me that Alpha Black will be here the following week to thank me for protecting the innocent in my pack.