Chapter 3 || H.S.

Assignment

(Noun)

: a task or piece of work assigned to someone as part of a job or course of study

H.S:

Many things have been happening in the past few years. Tears, violence, hatred, and the urge for vengeance all in one. I've changed and I hate who I've become. I would never be able to be that 12-year-old boy who would crawl into my mother's bed when I heard thunder outside my window. I would never be that same boy who would beg for another book to read while in the library. I'm not the same Prince who left the castle years ago. I know for a fact that I would never be that boy who would go outside to pick out the most beautiful flower of the kingdom. I adapted to my new environment. Circumstances changed me, and I'm not sure if I would ever be that 12-year-old boy again. When I get out of my bed every morning and go out into the camp, I'm not me. I'm someone else, someone who doesn't consider anyone's misfortunes. Someone who doesn't listen to children crying when I murder one of their parents. I block any type of sympathy for those who rebel against my kingdom. That is what I came to be.

Growing into what they call the next king. A king for what? That's my question, why change into something that I don't want to become. There is no need for me to be here in this camp learning how to use a sword, how to read a map, or learn about combat strategies. I'm the second to the throne, so why punish me into becoming an individual with no emotions or compassion? I've already been here for more that 4 years, so what is 2 more? Liam's luck is out of this world. He recently turned 18 and was sent back to Sapphire were my mother, the queen, is waiting for his return. He was always the strong one, he would fight against everyone to show his power. Liam killed without questioning, without looking away. He didn't care about who they were, how old they were or what they did to be punished to such extent.

Every time I close my eyes, I can see my first victim. The first person I was forced to kill.

Flash back:

"Kneel down kid!" I hear Sergeant Michael scream to a boy that I believe is around 7 years old. What is happening? Why isn't Liam here with me? I looked to my right and there was a row of officers and soldiers lined up looking forward without blinking.

"Sergeant Michael what is going on? Why is this boy kneeling in front of me?"

"Well my Prince, this is your first assignment that actually involves real blood. Not those basic combat classes you were taking since you got here," he said from behind the bruised-up boy.

"What do you mean my first assignment?"

"Let me explain to you. Every male royal comes here to transition from a prince to a king. Your father, your grandpa, and so on, all came here to become the best. When you got here, you took a year of just basic combat classes, like how to use a sword or how to defend yourself. After a year you are given your first assignment to start that transition. Once you pass the assignment, many things are granted to you. But before I can say what those wishes are, you need to kill this boy."

"What?" I said. I can't do this. I can't kill him. I looked at the Sergeant and then down at the boy. His eyes showed pain and terror. He was afraid of what I had the power to do. I was brought back to reality when I heard my name.

"Kill him Harry."

"No Sergeant. What has this boy done to deserve death?"

"He is a thief. Go on Harry! If you don't do it, all hell will break loose!"

I have to ask the boy why he found the need to steal. I can't just kill him without knowing the whole story.

"Bring Liam at once," Sergeant Michael said to a nearby officer.