Chapter One

Mama walked into the immigration office and went to the back of the building pick up the forms that we need to take with us Mars. She pulled the stroller in front of her with one hand and pulled me by the other hand.

            “May I help you mam?” said the desk lady.

My mama smiled at the woman even though she was stressed from the trip “Hi I need to pick up some papers for the trip to Mars.” The lady looked up at her and shook her head and went to the back of the office. This wasn’t out our first applying for an immigration form. We wanted to move to Venus and live there because it’s beautiful scenery but we were declined. The lady went to the back of the office to a green filing cabinet and pulled it open making ticking sounds as she pulled it open. Then she came back with a stamp and some papers. She looked at me and went to a door in the back that had a name on it that read Crenshaw on the front. Mama looked at it and stepped back from the desk and went to the door. There was fright in her eyes and I knew she knew this Crenshaw man. The lady came back with a man behind her; she then held her hand out and gave us that you will regret this smile.

            “Hi my name is Margot Wellsburg and this Mr. Wellsburg my brother.” She said pointing at him. Crenshaw looked at my mother then at me and picked up the papers reading them a close eye on each word.

He sighed and went over to us and said “Jallie you and your husband are not permitted to go with your daughters to Mars. We want young people to build the population, but there will be some adults there.” Mama didn’t look so pleased at what Mr. Wellsburg said but, she picked up the pin and signed the paper. Margot picked up the paper and put the presidential eagle stamp on the paper.  Mama turned the stroller around and walked out the door. People looked at us to see a smile that we got in but, mama was broken in two.

She opened the car door and put Kayla into the car seat. I got in the front seat and turned to my mama.

“You don’t have to worry about me Mama, Kayla and I will be just fine.” I said.

She looked at me as she turned down the street “I WORRIED ABOUT YOU AND KAYLA OUT IN THE WORLD YOUR ONLY SIXTEEN AND YOUDON’T HAVE A JOB TO CARE FOR KAYLA!”      I turned away and looked out the window my mama of all people yelled at me. Soon that day I got packed and went to dinner, mama was crying and so was I. Kayla played with the toy daddy brought home.

“So how was the office I just got a call that only my daughters were going.” He said

“Daddy I can take care of Kayla and if I get a high score I can get and upper class apartment and everything.” I said to him.

“Julie I think it’s best if you focused more on education than Kayla. You have a life to live and it is not going be raising that baby!” He yelled. I looked at him and looked at my mother, this was what she was yelling at me about in the car, they won’t me to have a future and not raise Kayla while I do.

“What about Kayla she is going with me to Mars why can’t I keep with me and care for her!” I said raising my voice at them.

“We have decide to put her in an orphanage when she gets there and we will no bring this back up understand Julie?!” mama said. I got up and ran out of the room cursing under my breath.