20.

VENTI

RIVER PLACED THE GIRL GENTLY ON HER BED. He cleared off the blankets in advance so he could use them to cover her up. Just as he tucked her in, Gemma mumbled something incoherent. He didn't bother to ask her to repeat. Instead, he stroked her cheek with a smile.

River sighed, wondering why she got drunk. She said it was because of him but he did nothing wrong. Not that he knew of, at least.

When he retracted his hand, Gemma mumbled again but this time it was audible.

"River.." She said his name with her eyes close, she was squinting trying to adjust her vision to the light in her room. When he saw her struggles, he flicked the side lamp off. Then it was just him, her, and the dark.

"Yeah, Gemma?"

"Sorry."

He furrowed his brows, even though she couldn't see him.
"What? You don't have to apologize to me." He informed her as he clears his throat. His voice cracked as he spoke, probably because he was so nervous, he couldn't see her face as he talked to her so it made it hard to calculate her feelings.

She sighed, snaking her hand around the bed in search of his. When the two hands touched, he recoiled but soon placed his onto hers. "I shouldn't of...I overreacted, at least I'm pretttty sure I did, I'm still buzzed so I don't really know one hundred percent."

He smiled even thought his heart was still aching at the image of her crying. He never felt so lost than in that moment. "Get some rest."

The bed lifted slightly as he stood up from his spot on the bed, he didn't get far though as Gemma squeezed his hand.

"Wait." She whispered.

He turned his neck around to face her, yet still couldn't see her.

The only noise in the room was the twos breathing. Gemma's steady intake of breaths, her exhaling and Rivers erratic unrhythmic heart beat. His heart was weighing down on him it felt. Almost like it was growing too fast for Rivers body to catch up. It would keep growing until his heart swallowed his whole, that's what it felt like. It was a risk, he thought. Too big of a heart could bring so much love, yet at the same time, so much heartbreak.

Where there is love, there is heartbreak.

"Stay with me. Please, River." She let out in one breath. She tried to ignore the sob that threatened to flow out of her mouth and bit down on her lip. She wanted to cry only because she blamed this beautiful boy on all the pain she's endured. She felt selfish. It seemed like she was taking advantage of him and he just was okay with it, but that would only last so long. And then both of them would be heartbroken. So she bit down on her lip and fought the sobs.

It was silent. Dead silent. River was thinking harder than he should've. All in all, he knew deep down it would take a lot to say no to her, so he laid down on her bed beside her.

She shuffled around to lay on her side to face him. He did the same. They both laid down, with only the mere image of the other floating around their eye sockets.

"Goodnight." He said softly, reaching out and cupping her face in his hand.

She grabbed his hand and kissed it briefly before smiling to herself. She was glad he couldn't see her because she was blushing like an idiot.

Little did she know, so was he.

"Goodnight." She replied.

- - - - - - - - -
He kissed down her neck and back up to her lips. She moaned, feeling so much bliss. She was on cloud nine and no one could bring her down. He chuckled.