The Courageous Help For A Life

My brother Jim and I were playing a game of catch in our neighborhood park when we spotted two shiny objects bobbing up and down in the river that ran through the park. Our curiosity was piqued and our minds raced with questions about what those objects could be. Mental images of lost treasure, valuable ancient artifacts, and perhaps even a tin box jam-packed with money filled our thoughts. I grabbed my butterfly net and we raced towards the river with gusto.

"I'll get the box, you get the other object!" Jim called to me as he straddled the railing bordering the river. The next thing I heard was a loud splash as Jim lost his footing and toppled into the water. Jim was not a good swimmer. He was no match for the strong current that surged relentlessly forward and carried him rapidly down the river. "help me" was all he could say as his head disappeared into the dark and deadly depths of the river. I was paralyzed with anxiety and did not know what to do. The other children around me cried out desperately for help.

Like an angel sent from heaven, my school swimming coach, Mr Ng, ran towards the scene! Without wasting any time, he kicked off his shoes and executed a swift and elegant dive into the river. He swam with authoritative strokes, as if commanding the rough waters to calm down. The river seemed to bow to his powerful presence. Within no time, he reached Jim and pulled him out of the river. Jim was safe! The passer-by heartily applauded Mr Ng's rescue, and I was struck with awe and respect for his courage. We never managed to find out what the two objects were, but they could not have been anywhere near as valuable as my brother's life!

The End

Written by : Julian Metzelder ( DQPS )