A Mother's Penitence

(As Told By Nell Piltcher, Mother of Gunman)

My son was the school shooter at Greenwood High School.

I am responsible for every single person killed that day. "A terrible mother" And no body fails to remind me of that. But what can I say?

I deserved it. If I could have stopped it, I would have. That if I had just possibly known or saw it coming. But I didn't.

No one did.

No one could've assumed that my shy, kind little Aaron would become such a killer. Murdering his school mates in cold blood. My special little boy, as I called him.

The hardest part was knowing that I'd never get those answers either, because he murdered himself as well. Not only was a danger to others, but more than anything, to his own mind.

I blame myself entirely looking back on my trek through motherhood. I never married, and you could say never having a father in his life is what did him in. The only figure of that sort he had was my boyfriends. One of the most recent being abusive whenever he had enough liquor in him.

Especially to Aaron.

He was such a quiet and loving child. I remember thinking maybe, just maybe, he would go to college and get him a nice girl to settle down with. He wasn't scholarly material but I never doubted that he couldn't be something.

Something normal at least.

I was young and dumb when I had him. Very wistful too. I thought through all the nights that I nursed Aaron's busted lips and wiped his tears, that he would get off without a scratch. That he could be the pride of the family, because I sure wasn't.

So I wanted the light of my life to be.

The few weeks before the shooting, he happened to act a little differently. Irritable and moody, very quiet at times. He didn't do his chores and had an attitude when I asked him why. But I just thought that it was a phase. I went through it, he went through it, every teenager in America went through it. It was all just part of growing up.

Little did I know, that it was his part of growing up to be a killer.

And I overlooked every bit of it.