Story

Chris groaned as he tried to move, barely having the energy to lift his eyelids. He had always chuckled at the idea that 'Chris Cringle' was a term for Santa, when his parents had named him Christopher.

When he had started being Santa, he had told the elves to call him Chris, when they refused to call him Christopher and he didn't want to be called 'Santa' while in the community, and rather use his own name.

"Welcome back with us Santa." Replied a voice.

Turning his head, he blinked, "Do I know you?" he asked. He hoped his memory wasn't gone, but he didn't know this person at all! He looked human, and one that was old enough his hair was going white. He didn't look like a youth, but a powerful man.

The man chuckled, "No, you don't know me. I am an Elder for the closest pack. Your Elves knew of us, even if they didn't deal with us often. I'm Raul."

He closed his eyes for a moment in relief at that. "How long have I been out of it?"

"It's been a month since you were bitten. That is a bit slower than expected, but since you also have the magic of Santa, not enough to concern us."

"A month!?" Santa exclaimed, trying to sit up.

Raul helped him sit up a bit, putting some pillows behind him. "Careful, take it easy."

Chris' head spun, and he just laid back for a bit, trying not to expel his stomach. "What's going to happen to me?" he asked when he had calmed down. Would he even be able to get out? Was he going to be chased away? Would he now be forced to hide even more?

He heard the door open loudly, and clapped his hands over his ears.

*Think of making the sounds quieter, as if you have thick wool over them.* he heard a voice say. He closed his eyes and did just that. Next, he could smell himself, as if he had jumped in the muck-pit. He tried it with his nose, and thankfully it worked too.

Opening his eyes, Dan was there with a thick broth, "You need to get your strength back, Chris. You have only eleven months to deal with this issue! Christmas doesn't wait for anybody!" He replied, putting it on a table beside him. Once that was done, he backed out, closing the door.

Chris could smell a pungent scent that he didn't like coming from his lead Elf, but didn't know what it meant. He sighed, "He seems scared of me." It was not only in his eyes, but also in the fact he wouldn't turn away from him. It didn't look good he said to himself.

Raul sighed, confirming his comment, "It because you are newly turned, not because you now have a wolf. Some are very volatile. The Elves had a Rogue come through here a century ago, which was our last dealing. That is why security is so tight."

Chris moved to pick up the spoon, and started to eat slowly. With every bite, he could feel strength returning to his body. When he finished the bowl, he sighed, and closed his eyes for a moment. He had many questions to ask...

Raul smiled, and gently laid him down when he started to snore. As he had told the Elves when they asked him, since he had dealt with the previous Santa once, when he had stepped on his tail, when he had curled up in front of the fire as a pup, this would let him put his personal research to work. He had travelled a fair bit, to go south and learn many of the legends of St. Nick. It was also an honour, as he had just joined the elders, after stepping down from his Beta role.

Being asked to care for one that was Rogue Turned was also a large honour, and while he didn't expect to live out the century, he would make sure another would be available to help this Chris on his path. He had a wolf in mind for that honour, but wanted to see if they would suit.  With there being only twenty in the pack, even a Santa would be a welcome addition.