Chapter Fourteen

• Dedicated to Mary-Anne

14. Bubbles and high society

As the night wore on, my feet ached with the endless dancing, my throat was dry with the constant introduction and my head throbbed from the infinite emptying of my champagne glass, as a method to attempt to remedy the previous two (which obviously failed, although it did taste good).

Bibi was a flirtacious minx when it came to chatting, she had a way that men adored and craved as they followed her throughout the evening. She was showered with gifts, compliments and invitations to a whole manner of lavish occasions as the night wore into day. The gentlemen followed her like a string of pearls, each bead exquisite, opulent and rich with both beauty and stories. The high society flitted accross the room, weaving in and out of new tales and new riches; Old and new alike in one way - money. I was passed from ruby to silver sovreign like a china doll, ready to play with gentleman and ladies alike, with little choice but always a plastered smile and flushed cheek. I attempted to make a good impression and be an ambassador but the flurry of the dancefloor, the metamorphisis of conversation from politics to perfume made me dizzy.

It would be fair to say I was a little overwhelmed.

I excused myself from conversation and headed up the staircase into the equally decadent bathrooms. Looking in the mirror I sighed, wiping away the small smudges of make-up and pinning any loose strand of hair. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, letting the cool water rush over my fingertips and the relaxing energy free all of my aching muscles. I sipped at the water, allowing it to filter through my body and re-energize my slowly deteriorating brain, not that anyone noticed the bubbles of champagne rising fizzily to my head as they had clearly risen more vigorously in thiers. A gaggle of ladies emerged from the adajecent room, giggling with slurred words and champagne marks on their satin gowns. 

'...And then I leaned in and said, "Oh no Sir, save the spirits for later."' She laughed the others swooned around her. She was the leader of the group, pretty, with porcelain skin and mahogany hair styled into tight ringlets that dripped down her backless dress. It was a metallic red and encrusted with tiny diamantes that caught the light every time she moved, making her actions graceful and undeniably fluid. No doubt she had caught the attention of many admirers throughout the night.

'Please Maggie, tell us what happened in the forest.' Several squeals followed. They reminded me of Karen in a way, damn I missed her bundling energy. 

'Well,' the girl continued,'I met him and we walked, exchanging compliments, flirting, the usual..until suddenly he pulled me aside into a little copse of elm trees and kissed me so passionately I could hardly breathe! He was a good kisser, nothing like that Earl Typhon, but definiately passionate and enthusiastic.' I rolled my eyes in the mirror as the other girls pressed with questions. 

'No, he didn't push me for anything more, how undignified that would be! But I did let his hand roam up North a little, I'm sure he enjoyed it and anyway I'm invited unconditionally to the party next saturday.' She whipped out the golden invition, it reminded me a little of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, 'Dearest Lady Magdalena Lilith, you are cordially invited to the dinner dance at the Manor of Sir Samael Dagon on the 17th October from 2000hrs onwards. Yours in servitude, Sir Dagon.'

I chuckled a little to myself as I left the room, it is apparent that girls will be girls, whether in high society soiree's or at high school proms. The balcony that surrounded the swarming ballroom was beautifully intricate and extended around the entirity of the room, despite being completely desolate, apart from the odd butler in tails and red waistcoats. Perfect, I thought.

I made my way towards the middle of the balcony where a red velvet chaise with a golden fleur de lis pattern was situated to look down upon the bustle of the floor below. It was the best place to people watch, one of my habits back at home, hidden behind a giant marble pillar. I relined into the plush velvet and removed my heels, wiggling my toes with extreme relief. It was instantly entrancing to gaze onto the scene enfolding below.