Research

The air is cooler today. Naruto hikes his loose pants further up his hips and buries his nose into his scarf. As he stands at the Academy entrance, he somehow feels a little anxious.

A cotton-clad fist lightly bumps the back of his shoulder and he jumps in fright.

"Hi, Naruto," greets Sakura, and at her voice, he melts. If his ten-year-old heart could beat any harder and faster than it already was, he'd have passed out by now.

"Hi, Sakura-chan," he replies, bundle of nerves in his gut, and watches as she walks past him.

She pauses to look at him over her shoulder and arches one eyebrow. "Are you coming or are you going to stand there all day?"

He jumps, back straightening instantly, and then he bobs his head up and down. "Y-yeah!"

<<>>

"Ibiki-san!"

"Sakura."

A large hand pats the top of her head and, like a cat, she tilts her head up with a smile. As if catching herself in a moment of weakness, she quickly clears her throat and then steps back. She has to remain professional.

"Thank you for meeting with us at such short notice," she says, tapping her papers on the table to even it out, and then prepares her clipboard and pen.

"That's fine," replies the Morino with a curt nod.

"This is my friend, Naruto," Sakura introduces, gesturing to the blonde who ogles the T&I foyer in awe.

"Uh, yes! We just want to ask a few questions," the Uzumaki finally pipes up, eyes twinkling in amazement at the large giant in front of him with battle scars marring his face.

It makes Ibiki inwardly grin. Sakura had had the same reaction upon their first meeting, and she had even gone as far as asking to touch his scars.

And Ibiki doesn't know what surprises him more — the fact that Anko's child is friends with the Kyuubi, or their choice in school assignment.

"I'm sure I have time," he insists. He wants to see how this plays out.

"Great! We want to ask you about Uzumaki Kushina-sama — the Yondaime's First Lady!" Sakura happily chirps.

That's something no one talks about. Her, and Namikaze Minato. Ibiki is one of the few people who truly know what happened all those years ago, and he wonders how all this came about - Sakura's interest in Uzumaki Kushina - and he reckons maybe it's innocent. Perhaps, Sakura has chosen her on a whim, or because of her cerulean-eyed friend.

However knowing what he knows, he doesn't count on it.

"What an old name. What do you wish to know?"

There's a gleam in her eyes, he's sure of it. Morino Ibiki doesn't miss a lot, and so he's certain he saw something in the reflection of her irises.

"Everything you can tell us please," says Naruto, "We have a few questions we asked that monst— I mean, Anko."

"Hm! I'll go first," sings Sakura, and so their spiel starts once more.