Chapter 1: THE BACKGROUND

"Paulette and Alex ! Y'all need to get up an get ready for school! I'm not about to chase after a bus today! Get up ! It's 6:00 , and that bus pulls up at 6:30. Hurry up, now and don't wake up Ashley," is what I heard faithfully every morning coming from my mother on school days. It always amazed me how she wanted my younger siblings, Paulette and Alex, to show discretion to my sleep time, but she was always the one who did the interrupting. Well, it's my senior year of high school , so I don't see a point in speaking up about it now. It's not like I have much longer to deal with it.

I'm happy that I finally made it to this big moment that every high school student dreams about. I'm ready to meet up with my friends again and knock all of my classes out of the way. Besides, I should have graduated my sophomore year of high school, if you ask me. The school I go to puts me in classes a year ahead, so I've always felt a little above my years. The only thing I hate the most is waking up this dang early not only because of my mom and her routine, but for my 15 minute drive to my school. Oh well! I better start getting dressed. Complaining hasn't changed anything yet, right ?

Any-who, I'm dressed, and I feel all types of cute. 2014 is dangling all in my head, and alumni students are blowing up my iPhone and Instagram with words of encouragement. Plus, my mom just said I can drive to school. I feel a lot of love already. It's so much to look forward to : homecoming, prom, games, parties, and even the club ! "Turn up! Turn up, " as my crew would say!

The 8:31 bell rung at school, but I'm at the local Hot Dog King grabbing the famous Patty Sausage Sandwich. This is the spot for a quick stop in the morning. My school is just around the corner. As I pulled up in the student parking lot, I see a couple of cars here, so I guess my senior class is starting off on the right foot.

I walk in the school, and I feel a bit of pressure. It's like all eyes are on me. I get it, now. I'm a senior, and I'm the cheer leading captain. Some of these kids probably even follow me on Instagram or twitter already. I was once in the same position as them, being an underclass man and all. You know, looking at the seniors and wondering what they're thinking and how they feel. The tables have totally turned. I just have to wave and smile . After all, nobody likes bad first impressions.

"What's up , Ash! I missed your ugly ass," my friend, Tricia, said. I replied, "I've missed you too ho, but we've finally made it!" We just laughed and screamed out, "14!"

This was our way of communicating and we knew there was no harm in the vulgar language. Tricia would forever be my friend. We had a bond like no other. My house burned down before , and her house burned down too. She was the oldest child , and I was the oldest child too. Our family situations were even on the same path, so please understand me when I say , THAT'S MY FRIEND. It's rare to find anyone that can really relate to you besides on a mental level.

Anyways, we just got to class and we see that the entire magnet class was once again packed together. It's nothing new, but this is exactly what we knew was going to happen. All I could think of to myself was the word : SUCCESS. I knew this year was going to be a breeze. We were always willing to "help" each other if you know what I mean. The only downfall of the whole situation is that some of the crew is now taking full time college courses at Milton State College. It's good for them to get that head start. I just hate we won't be able to form the same memories. I'm definitely going to miss one of my close friends, Reese, but in all actuality this high school stuff is below her career path so I support her decision.

We are all gathered around each other right now discussing our summer. The 8:45 final bell has rung so it's just basically catch up time . It's the first day of school so there's not much to do. Especially, since our teacher, Ms.B, acts like she's one of us some of the time. We got Nicki eating her life away at the table. She's the size of a fifth grader, but she has the appetite of a 6 foot basketball player. That always amazed me. Michael is making the class die of laughter, and Thai, Kesha, and Tracy are being their normal crazy selves. Of course, Jas and Cassandra arrive late. Those are my babies, though. The gang is all here, except my best friend, Tip, and her "boyfriend" , James. I don't like him, but that's a story for another day.

A few minutes passed,and they finally walked in. I've missed Tip! Our relationship has always been a little rocky, but we always seemed to work it out. "What real friends, don't bump heads" is what I've forced myself to take heed to. She's fun to be around and a sweetheart at times. Everybody gave her a welcome and all that good stuff, but it's definitely time to get this senior year started.