Something Strange

The shriek of the rusted gate signals the black gate opening. You stand there, frozen, staring blankly at the opened gate; hesitant of proceeding to go in. It was different this time, it does not feel like your usual place. It feels… odd. You feel like a stranger venturing a new area as you slowly pass through the gate with your cold hands clutching to the handles of your heavy bicycle. The rustling sounds of the plastic with water bottles distracts you for a moment until silence once again envelops your surroundings.

Echoes fill the empty stairs as you slowly ascend to the second floor. Every step feels like a thousand needles plunging into your feet as you make your way to the second floor. The closer you reach the top, the harder it is for you to proceed.

You finally face the familiar wooden door but once again feel strange about it. Something in it is very odd, very different. You hesitantly dig for your keys in your slightly loose pocket and proceeded to look for the right key. Finally, you found it. As you insert it to the keyhole, that odd feeling is back, yet again. You argue with yourself whether you should twist the key or not.

“Kachack!” goes the door as you finally decide to open it. Darkness then envelopes you with a deafening silence…

It was here.

It was this place.

And you are here once again.

You remember that someone broke in to your room. Chills ran down your spine as you remember that time when you arrived home with your laptop missing and your things scattered all over the floor as if a typhoon just passed by. You start to think once again, how that person might have been observing you. When you sleep. When you leave. When you arrive back. You just want to get out of here as soon as you can. To pack all your things and leave, never to come back again.

But you are here. You have no choice. You cannot move to another place yet. You need to sleep. So you turned on your lights, change your clothes, and head to bed; only to find out that you cannot sleep. The anxiety battles against you making you think of things and keeping you awake.

Your alarm rings. It’s already time for school.