We are the future and the future is us

You grow up in a society that's supposed to nurture you to greatness. You have to follow a specific set of rules, act a certain way, think a certain way, be a certain way to achieve this state of "greatness." From the second you are born down to the second you die you will be judged on who you are and what you are able to achieve. Thankfully, we don't need to come up with a plan to be successful because society has built one for us - The Education System.

You will be put into the hands of educators because we are the future and the future is us. "Trust in the education system," they say. "We will not fail you," they say.  So you do, you do trust in them. For years you will be trapped in a circus ran by instructors that couldn't care less about your well being.

Kids enter high school eager to learn, to figure out who they are and what they want to do. To find out what they're good at only to be forced to learn subjects they don't find interesting, to be judged on their passions too. Kids begin to hate school, they begin to not care. "You're just being lazy. You're failing? Don't you dare."

Kids are silenced by their teacher's ignorance because they don't care about you. It's just your "hormones" they say. You're just a "rebellious teen" they say. You're "overdramatic," they say. You are fine, they say. But are you really fine? You're paralyzed in a sea of letters through A-D telling you your worth.

Kids are expected to build their education on nothing. Learning BEDMAS one day followed by integers then jumping to quadratics and functions. You can't build a steady tower without a solid foundation, so why are our educators throwing bricks at us when we don't have a base to build it on?

Halls flood with whispers of who got what on the test and remember you won't amount to anything if you don't do the best. We are stuck in a perpetual state of not good enough, never good enough because we aren't defined as people anymore. We are defined by a number, a percentage.

Why can't anyone understand that kids feel this way because the educational system is failing us?

A class is made up of individuals, different shapes and sized but being taught and tested on the exact same thing. Kids shrink themselves to fit into clothes hoping they can achieve this "greatness" the educational system is supposed to bring. The problem is that education is not one size fits all. Education should accommodate the different brains but instead, it discriminates.

Kids think they're stupid.
Kids think they're dumb.
But there's nothing they can do because the educational system is failing us.

Kids spend most of their waking hours in school, only to be torn apart by those they look up to. Teachers are supposed to shape us and guide us to become the next generation of geniuses but our educators no longer care about teaching us.

Our educators only care about the information we can retain long enough to write down on a piece of paper.
Our educators make us feel like if we don't understand we never will.
Our educators are condescending, they're apathetic, lukewarm and tepid
They think they're superior because they get to teach the children of the future...
The future that we won't have.
The future that won't be us because how can this generation be the future if our educational system continues to fail us?
The effect school is supposed to have on kids is to make us more intelligent, to shape us to be who we are supposed to be. But that's not how it is anymore.

The effect is kids are stressed.
The effect is kids are anxious.
The effect is kids are depressed.
The effect is kids can't be the future because they're drowning in the present.