Chapter One (Something isn't right)

"Mom, I'm leaving!" Lilith shouted from downstairs, grabbing her bag and walking out the door.

"Okay honey, have fun at Jasmine's!" Her mother replied, placing the towel she was using on the floor.

The Reyes family has an interesting reputation.

The only people living in their house was Lilith, the 16 year old daughter, and Monica, the mother.

Lilith's father disappeared right after she was born. Everyone in the state of Texas was looking for him. After a year, everyone seemed to forget. The searches just stopped and he was never found.

Outside the house, the only family member the two had was Lilith's uncle, Michael. He often came to visit and was close to both Lilith and Monica.

Their family was known as "the ones we pity" because of Lilith's father. And Monica wanted that title to be gabbed by the neck and strangled to death.

She hated it.

Lilith often stayed at her best friend Jasmine's house. She enjoyed being away from her mother, as she felt she was too old to constantly have her mother over her shoulder.

Monica had no issue with Lilith leaving the house by herself, but tonight, something felt wrong.

Like she made a mistake by letting Lilith go.

She tried her best to ignore the feeling, thinking it was just her being paranoid because it was around the time her husband went missing.

Monica sat on her couch in the living room, wearing her most comfortable sweat pants and a thick sweater. She tried to ignore her anxious feeling by watching Netflix, but couldn't get it out of her mind. It was always creeping in the back.

She decided the best thing to do would be to go to sleep so in the morning, Lilith would return and everything would be fine.

She walked all the way upstairs and laid down on her bed. She closed her eyes and tried to focus on sleep.

She eventually fell into her Dreamworld, but it was anything but a dream.

All she heard was Lilith.

Screaming.

She could only blindly listen as she heard her daughter screaming in pain and calling out for her.

She wasn't able to talk. She wasn't able to see. She wasn't able to move.

She could only hear.

Suddenly, Monica was jolted awake by her phone ringing.

It was Jasmine's mom.

She picked up the phone, the light causing her eyes to burn and tear up, and answered the call.

"Hello?" Monica quietly mumbled, still half asleep.

"Monica. Get over here now." Ms. Parker demanded over the phone. Her tone conveying nothing but fear and confusion.

"What, why?" Monica asked, standing up and grabbing the first set of clothes she found.

"It's about Lilith. She's gone." Monica stopped outside her bathroom door, dropping her phone to the ground.

Her daughter was gone. And if this was anything like her husband, she wasn't coming back.