Chapter 1

The girl stared at the tv as she took a bite of buttered toast. She sat on the couch, chocolate brown eyes never blinking. She jolted as she felt a tug at her hair. "Ow!" She yelled out, turning and looking at her mom with wide eyes.

"I'm sorry Tori, you have a huge knot in your hair. Turn back around." The woman said, continuing to brush the girl's long brown hair. "I really think you should cut your hair, your not taking care of it."

"I'm taking great care of my hair." Tori huffed, taking another bite of toast as she felt her mom continue to run the brush through her thick long hair. "I need to get going soon." She said, glancing behind her at her tall mother. The woman had a thin body and face, with pale pink lips. Her blue eyes and dirty blonde hair were so different when compared to Tori.

"I'm going to schedule a hair cut for you. You need your hair cut and your bangs trimmed." The woman said, setting the brush down and taking Tori's empty plate into the kitchen.

"My hair is fine." Tori huffed stubbornly. She picked up her bag and turned, heading out without saying goodbye.

The girl looked around as she walked down the sidewalk, bag slung over her shoulder. She watched as cars passed her.

Tori slowed her pace as she caught sight of a bus stop, relaxing. "I have plenty of time." She mumbled to herself, not rushing to reach the stop.

Her feet moved at a steady pace as she got to the bus stop, she sat down. Tori smiled a bit, seeming to relax as she pulled her phone out. Now all she had to do was wait.

Tori gasped out as she felt hands suddenly grab her shoulders, hearing a feminine voice shout "Boo!" She turned around quickly, growling before she realized who it was.

A pale teenage girl stood behind Tori, a huge grin on her freckled face. "Hello!" She said happily, brown eyes set on Tori. "Did I scare you?" She asked.

"Oh, hey Claire, yeah you did." Tori was still evening out her breathing. She was incredibly jumpy but usually didn't let it show.

Claire's grin grew. "Are you waiting for the bus?" She asked, "Cause you have a long wait."

"I know I do, I left early because mom was bugging me. She wants me to cut my hair." Tori said, running a hand through her long brown hair.

"What? No.." Claire whined, "I like your hair, don't cut it."

"I'm not planning on it. I told her I wouldn't go if she scheduled an appointment." Tori explained. "Hey, it's weird with you still standing, sit with me."

Claire sighed, walking around the bench and sitting down next to Tori. "She really wants to change your appearance doesn't she?"

"Yeah, it's annoying." Tori mumbled. "How was your weekend?"

Claire shrugged, her curly brown hair bouncing. "Boring, I didn't do anything. Just sat in my room and watched tv." She said.

"Yeah, that does sound boring." Tori scoffed, eyes widening as she got shoved. "Hey! You said it yourself!" She laughed as Claire playfully glared at her.

Claire perked up as she heard a very loud engine. "Sounds like the bus is here. Up, up, I wanna get good seats."

"It's a bus Claire, not a concert." Tori rolled her eyes, watching at the bus stopped and the doors opened. She climbed in, Claire following behind her.

"Right there." Claire said, pointing to two empty seats near the center of the bus. Tori sighed and sat in one of the empty seats.

"Happy?" Tori asked, looking at Claire with an amused smile.

"Very." Claire hummed. She was quiet during the bus ride, but as soon as they got into the school grounds she was as happy as when waiting for the bus.

Tori greeted a few people in the hallways as always before heading to her locker. She put in her combination and opened the grey metal door, tossing her bag in. She grabbed her book, binder, and pencil bag. "I swear every school uses technology except for ours.." She mumbled, tired of carrying around heavy books everyday.

The girl shut her locker and turned, heading to class. She started the day with Algebra, which wasn't horrible. She just didn't like thinking so intently this early in the morning.

The classes seemed to pass within minutes. Soon, Tori was in the line to the cafeteria, waiting to get food. She grabbed a tray and gathered what she wanted. A fruit salad, hotdog, apple juice, and a cookie. She paid and walked out of the line, sitting at her usual table.

Tori smiled as Claire came over, carrying her tray full of junk food. "Hey." Tori greeted, watching Claire sit down.

"Hello." Claire said, quickly shoving her face full of junk food. Tori sighed, seeming to realize that her friend wasn't planning on talking.

In silence, Tori ate her meal and took her tray up. She made her way back to the table, calm.

"Hey, Tori!" A boy called Tori over. Hesitantly, she walked over to him. She didn't know the boy, but it was obvious he knew her.

"Sit, I have a question for you." The boy said, watching Tori take a seat. "Andy is too shy but he wants to know if you'll go on a date with him."

"Andy?.." Tori turned around, seeing a brown haired boy at another lunch table. He was slouched and his shoulders hunched, avoiding eye contact with Tori. The girl smiled, looking back at the boy. "Yeah, sure."

The boy grinned, "awesome. Here's his number, text him after school and you two can set it up." He pulled out a slip of paper and handed it to Tori. "That's all, I'll see you around." He said, shooing her away politely.

Tori took the paper before nodding and getting up. "Uh- yeah, see you around." As she made her way back to the lunch table she groaned as the bell rang. She looked around for Claire, hoping to walk with her but unable to her.

The girl sighed and went back to her locker, gathering her things. She went to her classes and worked, absolutely silent as she thought about how her date with Andy would go.

That was the only thing that filled her mind through her last two classes. As the bell rang on the last one, she snapped back into reality.

Tori gathered her things from her desk and got up, walking to her locker which was sadly on the complete other side of the school. Spaced out, she took her time to get her stuff in her bags and head to the buses. Before she realized she was too late and missed them all.

With a sigh, the girl readjusted the bag on her shoulder and began to walk home. She hummed softly, letting herself relax and take her time. Maybe she could even avoid the haircut her mom had scheduled.

The streets weren't very busy, a few people here or there on the sidewalk. She didn't mind them, even nodding to a few in greeting as she walked past. The city was peaceful to her, but she had never been out and about.

Tori looked ahead of her, frowning and slowing down before she came to a complete stop. In front of her was a large group of teenage girls and boys. She didn't recognize them, none of them were from her school.

The girl scanned the crowd, trying to figure out what was going on. They all looked scared and confused, some even talking on and on in another language from panic. Her eyes moved to the ground and she froze.

All of the people in the group had wings on their shadows..