Believe Me

Clary knocks on the door hesitantly. A one-on-one talk isn't the best idea, but some part of her propels her to knock.

After three agonizing knocks, a shirtless Jace pulls the door open. He raises his eyebrows.

"Hi, Clary..." He trailed off. Hi?! His crush / ex-girlfriend was standing right in front of him and he said hi?!

Clary just stared into his eyes, and while her mouth shaped words that seemed to come out and float towards him. But he could NOT hear anything at all.

"Jace? Jace!" Finally, her voice came into clear focus. Her words started blurry then came back, resurfacing.

"Yeah?" Jace's voice sounded a little unsure, hesitant, even to himself. Seriously? An ex-girlfriend could make his hearing blurry, his heart beat faster by a thousand times, and turn his normally arrogant attitude into a crumbling mess?

Get yourself together, Jace. A voice told him in his head.

Right. Okay. Another voice retorts.

Jace shook his head violently and groaned. Having mini arguments in his head was bizarre, and was just plain stupid.

"Okay so, Jace, I... Isabelle told me that I should maybe... Er... Give you another shot... So..." Clary stuttered and twisted her hands together.

Geez. Why'd he get all heated up for something he already knew?

"Yeah, you kinda told me that last time in the hallway." Jace smiled patiently.

"No! I mean, like another shot at being... my boyfriend..." Clary's voice got smaller and smaller.

Jace practically toppled over. ANOTHER CHANCE. Another chance at being his Clary's boyfriend.

"Is. This. Real?" Jace croaked.

"Yes," Clary grinned and started to walk away. "Believe me, it's real."

Jace watched her stride away, a mixture of feelings in his chest. Believe me, Clary. He smiled and shut his door, the sound echoing through the hall.