Chapter One

"Yep, I've just arrived at the hotel," Nancy Drew told her father, holding her new cell phone up to her ear. Luckily, she'd remembered to charge it before leaving for her flight to Long Island, New York, something that usually slipped her mind, just as remembering to fill up her gas tank did. The female detective had a hunch that adjusting to taking a taxi would be easy once she explored the city.

"Good," Nancy's father, Carson Drew, replied. She could hear the smile in his voice through the little handheld device. Knowing his daughter is safe is enough to satisfy any father, even if just for a moment in Carson's case, being the worrier he was. Anytime Nancy left the safety of her home in River Heights, Carson always felt on the slightest edge.

Nancy grunted as she lifted a suitcase onto the queen sized bed in her hotel room, the bag sinking into the soft sheets. Another bed sat empty beside her's. The girl sighed, "I wish you could have come."

Carson turned away from the phone as he coughed, pulling out a tissue to cover his mouth. "So do I, but I'm sure this convention will be a great experience for you."

"Make sure you take plenty of vitamin C while I'm gone, and don't refuse any of Hannah's special tea. It can cure any sore throat." Nancy smiled, wishing she could take a sip from one of Hannah's steaming cups of tea. It would definitely have been enough to help smooth over the nerves building inside of her. Hannah was always a comfort to Nancy, becoming her mother figure when Nancy's had passed.

"And you make sure you're careful in the city," Carson said. "It's a great place to visit, but you have to watch your step. You don't want to be in the wrong place at the wrong time..."

"I know, I'll be careful," Nancy attempted to reassure her father. She changed the subject with ease. "How's Togo?"

"He misses you. He slept on your bed last night while you were gone." Carson glanced down at the little dog as Toto padded into Carson's room, as if the canine had heard Nancy say his name through the phone.

"Awe. Well, tell him that I miss him too." Nancy glanced at the clock on the nightstand beside her bed. "Oh, I'd better go. A lobbyist told me that there's a meeting for all the detective's at noon." Nancy grasped her tan trench coat, wrapping it under her arm. "Say hi to Hannah for me!"

"Will do," Carson responded. "Call me later, I want to hear what you'll be doing at this convention."

"I will, bye!" Nancy slipped her phone into her purse, then clipped a badge she'd received onto her blue, button down shirt. "Detective's Convention, NY: Nancy Drew (Part Time Investigator)," the laminated paper read.

Carson had told Nancy all about the Detective's Conventions he had attended in the past, but this was the first time Nancy had ever received an invitation. Each year, a new convention was hosted at a different location, last year's being held in Las Vegas. Each convention lasted a week, and held many different activities. Some included tours around the city, dinner parties, special guests, and even their own fun mysteries for the invited detectives to try to solve.

To Nancy, the convention sounded very exciting. However, in Carson's absence, she wondered how the other detectives would react to a teenage girl like herself. How old were the other guests? Better yet, how experienced in the field were they? Nancy hoped she wouldn't stand out too much, wishing to blend in as a newbie to the convention.

Nancy left her room quickly, the clock reading 11:50 AM. Her bus had been a tad late when she first arrived, setting Nancy back in her schedule. Just as she began briskly walking down the hall for the elevators, a familiar voice sounded behind her.

"Nancy?"

Nancy could easily place the voice to a face in her mind, but hesitated as she turned to clarify the owner. A smile took over her face as none other than Frank Hardy came jogging up to greet her.