Chapter 1: 1941

~Chapter 1: 1941~

Today had been a wonderful day, until, that is, I took a step outside. I wouldn't have left the house if I hadn't needed to go to the store. This morning I woke up in a good mood, and since it was Saturday, there was no school.

As I was walking down the street, I noticed glass everywhere that was from the windows of stores. More specifically, from Jewish stores. Spray-painted on the walls were yellow Stars of Davids and "No Jew Allowed!" I took a peek inside the store I normally go to and saw about ten Nazi soldiers wrecking the place; it brought tears to my eyes.

"Zoë!" I heard a familiar voice call my name. I turned to see who it was, and saw my best friend, Sofia (also known as Sofie) walking towards me. Sofie was German and her dad was a Nazi soldier, but he still allowed us to be. Sofie had told me that her dad had been forced to be a Nazi and serve Hitler. I understood that he had to do that in order to keep his family safe. She had also told me that he was secretly helping Jewish families to escape from all over Germany.

"What are you doing?" She asked when she was standing next to me.

"Well, I was going to the store, but I guess I'm not anymore," I told her as I gestured towards what was going on inside the store. I looked around, taking in all the damage that had been done and let out a sigh. "I really needed to go to the store because we don't have anything at my house." Since all the stores owned by Jews had been destroyed, I couldn't go to them, and since I was a Jew myself, I couldn't go into any of the German stores.

"Why can't you go into any of the German stores?" Sofie asked. "You are, after all, half German." She stated.

"But are you forgetting the other half of me that is Jewish? And what about the fact that I have to wear this?" I asked her, pointing to the Star of David that had been sewn onto my clothing. "I can't believe this; my mom is going to be devastated." I stated, shaking my head in shame.

"What if I went to one of the German stores and shopped for you?" She suggested. I could only stare at her, I was completely speechless.

"What?" She asked me.

"You would do that for me?" I asked her as tears started to well up in my eyes. I really, honestly couldn't believe that she would do that for me.

"Of course I would! You're my best friend in the whole world!" She exclaimed.

"Thank you, thank you so much." I told her. I'm so glad that our parents allowed us to continue being friends.