Chapter 4: The First Day

~Chapter 4: The First Day~

I couldn't sleep that night because we were all crammed together on those little, tiny bunks. When I finally did close my eyes, the door to the barrack swung open. There was a Nazi soldier yelling for us to wake up. I was at the very end of the barrack, so I had a little more time before he got to me, but when I saw what he did to those who weren't standing at attention when he got to them, I quickly got up and helped make the bunk then stood like the others were standing. When the soldier got to me, he inspected the bunk. Seeming pleased, he sent us to the wash rooms.

Since I had never been to the wash rooms, I followed the other women who were outside. As I was walking, I remembered what the soldier from yesterday told us. He had said that we would only have a few minutes for washing. I started to run towards the wash rooms so that I could get there in time. Once I had arrived, there was no line so I went inside, took off my clothes, and stepped into the section where we were meant to wash. Not long after, the other women began to pile into the wash rooms. I realized that I would not have any privacy.

I glanced around the room and noticed soldiers standing along the walls watching us; some with a smug grin on their faces. My gaze landed on one soldier in particular that was staring at me. He was licking his lips and it made me uncomfortable. I quickly finished washing and put my clothes on because of the way that soldier was looking at me.

I got out of there as fast as I could and started running to find where breakfast would be served. I guess I wasn't watching where I was going because I ran into someone and fell to the ground. When I fell, I saw the infamous black boots that only Nazi soldiers wore. Instantly, my heart stopped and I couldn't breathe.

"P-please, sir. Have mercy. I-I didn't see you. It was my fault. I'll watch where I'm going next time, I promise." I begged him, while staying on my hands and knees not looking up.

I heard the sound of medals clinking together as the soldier bent down. My heart was racing now. I was terrified. What was going to happen to me? Was the soldier going to kill me?

Unexpectedly, I felt soft, gentle hands on my arms pulling me to my feet. When I was standing, he took his hands off me and said in a soft voice, "Don't worry. I'm not going to hurt you." I looked at his face and realized that it was the same soldier who had explained our daily routines. He had a sincere look on his face. But, I wasn't sure if I could trust him so I decided that I shouldn't. Just to be safe.

I guess he saw the distrust on my face because he told me, "you can trust me. I promise." he Kaye's a hand on my shoulder and for some reason, I knew he was telling the truth.

"My name's Leopold. Leopold Wolfe. But you can call me Leo. Don't worry, either. I'm a friend." he said with a smile on his face. "May I ask the lady what her name is?"

"Zoë Keller." I told him. "I-I should get to breakfast."

"Yes, of course. I'll see you later tonight." He said, with a hopeful tone in his voice.

I nodded my head and started to walk away, but turned back to him. When I turned, he was still looking at me. "Where do I go for breakfast?"

He pointed past me and said, "in that building."

I turned to see where he was pointing and saw a brick building that people were walking into.

"Thank you" I said sincerely.

He nodded and said, "You're very welcome. And just remember, I'm not your enemy. Im your friend."

And with that, he turned and walked away. Probably to do his Nazi duties. So, I turned and walked towards the building he has pointed to.

*****

The rest of the day went by in a blur. The only thing, rather, the only person I could think about was Leopold Wolfe.

He was actually quite handsome with his blonde hair and sparkling blue eyes. He intrigued me. I wanted to get to know him more, but who was I kidding? He was a Nazi and I'm Jewish. There would be no getting to know him better. But, I couldn't help but playing what he had told me over and over again in my head. "Just remember, I'm not your enemy. I'm your friend." Could he have truly meant those words? I couldn't be sure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, it's me!! Just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to read my story. This story is one that I've had in my head for a very long time now and I'm happy to be able to share it with you guys! :) If you guys could vote and comment so that I know if you like it or not, it would be greatly appreciated :) Chapter 5 will be up and ready to read soon, so keep a look out :) ta-ta for now