5

Q:
The flash, the arrow, TVD, the originals,
Songs:
Supermarket flowers- Ed Sheeran
Elastic Heart- Sia
Everybody talks- Neon Trees
My Song- Alessia Cara

I was sitting on a stool in front of the sink in my house.The smell of burnt hair and shea butter filled my nostrils. My mother was behind me, flat iron in hand, passing it over a small piece of my hair.

The hissing of the iron as it pressed my curls flat echoed through the small bathroom. I looked at my 10 year old reflection more eagerly with each passing minute, excited to see the finished product.

A pile of curly brown hair sat atop of my head. She took one section at a time as gentle as an angel, making it straight little by little.

My mother was a beautiful women. She wore her jet black hair pulled into a sleek low bun, the curls never failing to peek out in waves under the gel. Her brown complexion was darker than mine, just slightly and her eyes were a deep brown compared to my light brown orbs. The tops of her ears were a bit pointy, but her flaws made her even more gorgeous.

As I looked at her, I promised myself that I'd be more like her when I grow. 

"You know I don't like you to have your hair straight." Her voice flowed through my ears like velvet. I had asked her to straighten it for me so I could look like the other girls in my class.

"The way your hair is, naturally, makes you all the more different." She says.

"But mama, I don't wanna be different" I looked up at her and she has a small smile played across her lips, but her eyes were too sad to sell it.

"You will never influence the world by being just like it" she said in a soothing voice. She returned back to doing my hair.

I thought about what she said hard, for a while; there was a hard knock on the door. "Come in" my mother said, knowing well it was my father.

He walked in, a smile crossing his features. When she looked up to meet his gaze her eyes brightened. She placed the flat iron on the countertop and turned to him. He made his way over to her and placed his hands on her waist as she put hers on his chest. They kissed passionately, I looked away from my parents.

"Eww" I said, my babish voice filled the room and I scrunched my nose. They both stopped and chuckled, my voice brought them back to reality. Our laughter filled the room and what a beautiful sound that was.

"So I wanted to talk to you about something" he said to her hesitantly. 

She nodded at him in approval for him to proceed. I watched them through the mirror curiously.

He took a deep breath before beginning to speak "I heard from someone that you applied for a job at the taylor shop" he said as if he finally took a breath after being underwater.

She looked away from him and picked the flat iron back up from the countertop. "Yes, it's true" she arched her brow and continued the process of doing my hair.

He looked at her in disbelief, hurt dancing in his eyes. "How could you? Why would you?!" he growled. What's going on? It has never been like this, he has been on edge lately, so out of the ordinary.

"I'm not going to do this with you. Not right now." she said harshly. I was still watching them through the mirror.

"What are you looking at?!" he screamed at me and something inside of me broke. It wasn't that he screamed, it was the way he looked at me, as if he didn't want me, as if he was ashamed I was his. I began to cry.