Three

"I thought there were inquires for you to see if you could keep the baby until you got out? Isn't there a unit here or something where mothers can care for their babies?" Joe questioned and Demi let a tear fall from her eye which she wiped away.

"They won't let me because of my charge..." Demi trailed off and Joe sighed running his spare hand through his hair as the other hand was holding the phone against his ear.

"Why me?" Joe questioned.

"Because you're the person I trust most with my daughter other than myself. I-I even trust you more than Corey," Demi stated and Joe looked over at her. "I know it's a huge ask Joe, don't feel like you need to say yes."

"What will happen to her if I don't?" Joe inquired.

"Probably adoption... my parents can't look after her and I have no other family." Demi spoke honestly.

"Then I'll take her," Joe demanded sitting up again. "I'll work it out, alright? But she's not going anywhere in which you can't see her."

"T-Thank you." Demi choked finding herself dropping the phone sobbing into her hands. Joe felt his eyes well up with tears as he watched not able to say or do anything now to make her feel better. He knew it was a big deal, taking on her baby girl and caring for her whilst her mom was away. But the baby girl was already a huge part of his life.

____________

It wasn't long later that Joe was demanded that they finish off and say their goodbyes. It was the hardest part of the day for the both of them. Not even able to hug one another goodbye.

"I'll be back tomorrow, alright?" Joe demanded and Demi nodded her head gently holding back her tears.

"Thanks for coming." She replied.

"You don't need to thank me," Joe assured her. "I suppose I better get some stuff ready for the little princess."

"I really owe you Joe and not just money."

"Oh shush, I'll see you tomorrow, I love you." Joe stated.

"I love you too." She replied watching as he put the phone back before standing up. He gave her a wave before he left the room leaving Demi alone again. He took in a deep breath as he left the room completely ready to sign out and collect his keys to get away from here. He didn't like coming. If Demi wasn't such an important person to him, he wouldn't come.

Joe sat opposite Nick at their favorite diner. He could see his brother had already ordered him the biggest milkshake on the menu. He felt like he needed it after today. He found today especially hard to see her.

"Hey man," Nick greeted him back watching as he supped on the straw to get the strawberry substance out. "How is she?"

"Not good," Joe breathed. "She's struggling so hard and it's only me who can be there for her."

"Her parents still not been cleared, yet? Not even her mom?" Joe shook his head gently. "You think they will be?"

"I mean, it's been years since either of them have done drugs, I'd like to think it won't be a problem. They aren't going to smuggle any in or something but I get why they have these precautions." Joe shrugged his shoulders and they both stopped the conversation for a moment as they ordered some lunch. They both chose to have their main meals so they could just have something light later on in the day.

"How long will she be there before she's properly sentenced and sent to prison?" Nick inquired.

"We're not sure yet, it must be hard for her knowing she's not even in the place where she will live her sentence. I wouldn't think it would be too far away, though. It's a big deal..." Nick nodded his head in agreement.

"I know and what about the baby?"

"I'm having her." Joe stated ignoring the expression of shock on his face.

"Really?" Joe sighed.

"Her parents can't because of the whole drug business and she doesn't have anyone else. She can't get hold of Corey so it's either me or she goes up for adoption. I didn't see any other option." Joe expressed to his brother.

"But would you have done it for anyone else but Demi?"

"Probably not." Joe mumbled running his fingers through his hair.

"Sorry, what was that?" Nick taunted laughing as his brother kicked him from under the table.