Part Three

"Magnolia, you have to do something. She's dying."

"What?"

Magnolia drops her jar of ceelie hair, letting it clatter on the counter. She enters the bedroom where Alana now lays, motionless. She looks the same as she has for an hour now.

"Look," Raphael says. He puts his fingers around Alana's eye, peeling it open. "You see that?"

Magnolia steps closer. "No, I don't see anything," she says, suddenly frustrated. "Just tell me what the hell is going on."

"Blue eyes means trouble," Raphael says, letting Alana's eye close. "Colors mean things, don't you know?"

"Of course I don't know, you two are the only vampires I've ever treated." She walks up to Alana's side and peels open her eyes for herself. Bright, ocean blue.

"I've never seen this before," she says, before exiting the room quickly.

Raphael shakes his head. Alana wasn't going to make it. No one could survive a werewolf attack this bad, and even a warlock's magic was extremely limited in cases involving downworlder poison. 

Shit, he thinks. She's too young. And after all the struggle she'd faced in order to get to this point? Plus, he'd even started to like her. He was going to make her part of the Clan soon, after she'd gotten more control over herself...

But it was almost certainly too late. One of the only things that can kill a vampire, and she's already seen it.

"Call Clary," he hears from the kitchen. 

"What is she going to do?"

"Just fucking do it, please."

Raphael does, aiming to appease Magnolia as much as he possibly could. All the while, he holds tight onto Alana's hand, which tightens slightly over his own.

And, of course, Clary is screaming into the phone before he could spit out his whole statement. But, as expected, she promises to appear as quickly as possible. Despite his problems with shadowhunters, Raphael hopes for her quick arrival. He couldn't deal with Magnolia's stress all alone for much longer.

"Raphael!" Magnolia screams. 

"What?" he groans.

"Eye update?"

He checks again, fighting Alana's weak struggle to close her eyes once again. "Same thing. It's only been a minute. Worry more when they're white."

"What does white mean?"

Raphael doesn't respond.

From the bedroom, Raphael can hear Clary crash into the apartment a few minutes later. He rolls his eyes as Alana stirs slightly from the noise.

"What happened? Where is she?"

The two come back into the bedroom, Clary knocking down a vase as she does so.

"Relax," Raphael snarls. 

Clary ignores him and stands next to Raphael, instantly gathering the hand he had just dropped. Alana flinches slightly at the warm touch.

"Oh my God, Alana," Clary cries. "I can't believe I let this happen." She turns back to Magnolia. "I shouldn't have let Aldertree do that, I can't believe--"

"Shut up," Raphael spits. "Feel sorry for yourself later."

Clary nods, adjusting her eyes back on Alana's face.

Slowly, Alana lifts her eyes open. She gives a large shiver and Clary drops her hand.

"How are you doing?" Clary whispers gently.

Alana shifts her eyes over to Clary. He face grows abruptly white and she draws back into the bed.

"Get out," she whispers.

"What? I'm here for you, Alana."

Alana meets Magnolia's eyes across the room. "Get her out of here," she says louder.

Magnolia furrows her eyebrows. "She's not here to hurt--"

"Get the hell out!" she spits. She pushes herself up with the effort and immediately gasps, falling back. 

Clary backs up and turns to Magnolia. "What's going on? What, what is --"

Magnolia grabs her arm and leads her out of the room. She closes the door behind them and Clary presses herself against the wall.

"I don't know what happened either, but we're trying to keep  her happy and healthy right now, so she can't see you." Clary looks back at her sadly, eyes wide. "It's best for her right now."

Clary shakes her head. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake her or make her mad or anything. I'm only here to help.

"I know that," Magnolia reassures, resting a hand on her shoulder. "And Alana will later. And besides, I needed to wake her anyway to feed her again and apply medicine."

Clary nods and purses her lips. "Alright. Can I stay here still though? Just in case you need me?"

"Yeah, sure. I'll probably need help anyway."