1

Leaving land was like entering a dream. You don't know what the dream is nor do you know the depths of the water. But you'll forget everything behind you, forget that it's temporary and just live it. 

It was dark, my mom was wasted like every other evening. I took off my clothes and was ready to jump into the water. 

As soon as my legs hit the water, my tentacles fly out in the water, like a mess. My skin began to get used to the water and I sank down. Leaving behind my past. Leaving behind my tormentors. Leaving behind the negative memories. Might as well leave behind everything. 

Living like that, I did think about running away. But what do I have out there? No one. And I already have no one here. Makes no difference. I have contemplated about ending this life. But what will it do? Give satisfaction to those who dislike me? I don't want to give them that no matter how much they torment me. Besides, I'm not brave enough to leave this world. 

As a partial octopus, I have 3 hearts, I prefer not to explain where exactly....

Usually I would spend an hour or so underwater on the seabed but my mom's having her boyfriend over (trust me, he's not a good guy) and I know it won't be soon when he leaves.  

I sat on the seabed, looking through the water at schools of fish and thought about how peaceful yet short their lives are. 

I closed my eyes and began to 'meditate', my other way of escaping harsh reality. There were no sharks, electric eels, or other dangerous sea creatures around in the lake so I sat my octopus half down and swept my soul away.

It had been an hour and a half, I didn't want to stay any longer, not that anyone cared, just in caution of the surrounding forest at dark hours.

I burst through the water, wiped my face and slowly swam towards the shore. Before I could reach the shores, I noticed a shadowed figure standing on the far side of the lake, left of where I was heading. At first I panicked a little at being caught and froze in place. 

The figure, which I could see was wearing a hat and a trench coat, obviously trying to hide his identity. Whoever it is, stood still until it a few seconds later when he/she moved. Under the rising moon, my 20/20 vision made out a face with pale complexion and a long scar running diagonally down his left side.