『02: a newcomer』

It was a windy and cold night. The sound of the trees' dead, dull branches clickered and clackered, as the wind blew against them, making frightening sounds.

However, despite the eerie atmosphere, there was a ray of light, shining from the bright gibbous moon in the sky.

It was rare for there to be no clouds in the Death Pond, but mayhaps the sky knew that (y/n) was going to meet a family member today.

Not real family, of course. (Y/N) has never known her real, blood related family. She got in an accident when she was younger, and lost all her memories before the accident.

(Y/N) was found in the forest when she was about seven years old, lying on the ground with a large, bleeding gash on her head. Some fighters from the Bloodshed sect found her when they were carrying out a mission. As they were debating on what to do with her, the sect leader's daughter Xie Luwei stepped out.

Being only eleven years old that time, Xie Luwei took care of (y/n) as she was her younger sister. From providing (y/n) with food, water, to teaching her martial arts.

It was at first just for protecting herself, but four years later, the leader of the Bloodshed sect was killed due to poison, Xie Luwei took on the role as the leader when she was only fifteen years old. (Y/N) knew she had to help Xie Luwei in some way, and that was when (y/n) became a fighter, just at the age of eleven.

Not only did she fought to defend herself then, but she fought to kill.

At that time, Xie Luwei and (y/n) took nearly a year to stabilize the inner side of the Bloodshed sect. There were rebels who thought Xie Luwei was too young and wanted to be the leader themselves, and others who just wanted to seize the power.

At the end, of course only the strongest survived. The ones who remained loyal to Xie Luwei, and she became the leader of the Bloodshed sect.

Over these years, Xie Luwei has been sending people out to get information about her father's death. It appeared that her father had been killed by poison, but the only sect that produced poisons as weapons had disappeared before she had even been born.Finding out the truth about her father's death of the biggest things she has been working on since she became leader. 

(Y/n) offered a hand, but Xie Luwei had always rejected.

"He was my father, this is my responsibility," she had said.

She was not the only one who suspects that it was the doing of the Emperor, who most likely had sent out men to carry out this task and to transfer the blame onto other, supposedly 'evil' sects. The Emperor was a tyrant that did cruel and inhumane doings to his own people, yet tries to look good trying to get ride of the 'evil' sects.

This was some of the information Xie Luwei had gotten so far from her messengers and spies she had planted in the palace of the Emperor.

So as the current leader of the Bloodshed sect, and being so busy, (y/n) knew it would be very difficult for them to meet each other.

And the messenger had said 'he', so it must be no other than the second most closest, Gao Yanyu.

Gao Yanyu had only been thirteen when his parents were killed by Xie Luwei for trying to take over as sect leader. He grew up with looking up to Xie Luwei, and despite her being the murderer to his parents, he did feel the wrongdoings of his parents, so he stayed in the sect. He is another person who treats (y/n) as a younger sister and always protects her when she is in trouble. Unlike Xie Luwei who is always busy with coordinating everything, he is more of the "I go the place whenever I am needed" type of sect member.

"(Y/n)."

(Y/n) turned, and the face she hasn't seen since almost a year ago caught her eye.

"Yanyu," she breathed, walking nearer to him.

He wasn't alone, there was another boy with him, but standing further away from them.

"This is...?" (Y/n) asked.

She was not that watchful, seeing the unknown boy as someone who she trusts has brought along. So she was slightly shocked when the boy threw a hidden weapon in her direction.

(Y/n) had been used to these hidden weapons, so she reacted quickly and blocked the weapon with her dagger, sending it back to the boy's direction, missing him by inches.

"I told you she has quick senses, Jiaqi," Yanyu says, not even turning around to face him.

Even in the dark night, (y/n) saw a hint of a smile on the boy's lips. He walked forwards so that he was just a few steps behind Gao Yanyu.

"This is Jiaqi, Jiaqi this is (y/n), whom I had told you about" Yanyu introduced, then he lowered his voice so that only (y/n) could hear.

"This boy wants to be a killer."