Eleven

Picking up a blue tie, I hold it up to my neck and check how it looks against my suit in the mirror

Picking up a blue tie, I hold it up to my neck and check how it looks against my suit in the mirror. Scrutinising it, I frown and throw it on the bed, deciding that it clashed with the navy jacket. It takes another ten minutes and thirteen ties before I finally stop on a navy necktie with red, green and gold embroidery on it. Rushing from the bedroom, I quickly stop in the kitchen and steal one of my sister's slices of toast. For a reason that I wasn't party to, not only was Nina here- far outstaying her welcome- but so was Romilly, Helena and Isabella. 

"Who are you trying to impress?" Isabella quizzed, her brown eyes narrowing on me. Suddenly, she makes an 'ah' sound and sits upright, a smug grin on her face as she nods in my direction. "Does this have something to do with you taking Lyanna to that piss-poor rugby game on Saturday?"

I choke on Romilly's orange juice, spitting it down the front of my shirt, staining it. "Ho-Wha- Who told you about that?"

"Max," my youngest sister answers in a condescending tone. "He's at St. Paul's and I'm at St. Pauline's."

"So you know that he's Lyanna's son?" I check although knowing the answer already. Looking at each of my sisters, they all frown at me, indicating that this was old news to them. "Ok, so you all knew but I didn't until last week. How is that even possible?"

Being the diplomatic sister, Romilly remained silent while the other three sniggered. "You've never really been interested in Lyanna before and you have really poor powers of observations and you don't listen to the finer details," Romilly tells me, not caring if she dented my ego ever so slightly. "Your problem, Michael, is that you only see and hear what you want to see and hear. For the record, we all totally think you got dressed up for Lyanna. That said, you should go and change your shirt."

Thirty minutes later, I've dodged my sisters' interrogations and managed to make it to the office ahead of time for my morning meeting. On the way in, I avoided the stares of the receptionists and practically shouldered Andie as I ran to my office, shutting the door behind me. Rummaging through the paperwork on my desk, I find the folder that I needed for my meeting and start to go through the finer details.