Stars

"It has been a year. A year since... since you... ugh. " 

I know Mindy said that talking about it is supposed to help but I still feel as numb as ever. But I mean how are you supposed to feel when you... when you lose your... your little brother? The cool wind picks up, sending strands of my long hair flying into my face. I move my hand up to brush them away. The movement of my wrist sends my sleeve sliding up to my elbow, releasing my tattoo for the wind to see. "The little tattoo that you convinced me to get." Some part of my brain says. I look at the tattoo. The little bird stares at me in return. Its wings set in a trapped 'flap'. I look at the bird more. I realize that it is not staring at me but at the stars above. 

I look up towards the constellations and a flood of memories come rushing toward me. They knock into me so hard that I fall on my knees and have to close my eyes. Darkness. Darkness is all I see; that is until the memories come once more. I see me and you eating ice cream together, sprinkles falling on the floor as you attack me with tickles. Watching fireworks on the 4th of July, plugging our ears to ward off some of the noise. Jamming out to AC/DC while we were on that long road trip. But most importantly, I see your eyes. Oh your beautiful blue blue blue eyes. Those blue blue blue eyes that will never get to finish college. That will never get to gaze into a lovers eyes. Eyes that will never get to go to another baseball game. Eyes that will never get to see one more sunrise.... eyes that will never open again.

I open my own eyes and the salty liquid that I have become so accustomed to start rolling from them. I look back up at the stars. I can almost swear right next to a bright star I can see your pair of big eyes looking down at me. And right below them, theres your lips. They're smiling. A small happy smile that seems to be saying "I'm OK. I'm happy" I find myself smiling a bit too. I could stare at your happy little smile and your bright eyes forever but I feel my eyes begin to dry up. So I blink. All that I see are the stars.