II

I looked at her, completely puzzled. What? She whispered:

„I don't want this job. Take Jim for Chief Mate."

I shivered when her soft lips touched my ear, but then managed to take a step forward and cleared my throat. Let my eyes ran over the men who looked bored. No, they didn't need a long speech and I was hungry. So I told them that first we had to rename the ship and second I wanted Jim for Chief Mate. He should see Clair and me in five minutes in the captain's cabin. The steersman asked for the route but I had to talk to Clair first. There was something she wanted to tell me, she said before.

We were sitting in my new cabin, which was hundred times more comfortable as the cell, of course. The first thing I commanded in Clair's name was that the guys who had been pestering her should be imprisoned at once. The second and third mate, who have been chosen by Jim, saluted me and walked away. A maid served us fine foods and it all could have been wonderful, if it wasn't for Clair. I felt it when she held me tight down in the dungeons, but I thought she was just a hot tempered person. Now her eyes were glowing like she was in a fever! And I had been so damn right, hadn't I? Clair looked at me, opened her mouth, and then she collapsed in the chair. I jumped up to prevent her from falling on the floor, Jim was already there to keep her steady. I ordered the maid to get fresh covers, I didn't want to lay sweet Clair on the dirty sheets her father slept in. Then I lift Clair up and Jim widened his eyes.

„Damn, kid. You're strong!" he stated in awe. „Didn't expect that, she's...not..." he staggered and I nod.

„I know. Hope the maid will be quick..." I moaned.

I already felt my arms shaking from the effort to hold that well- fed lady. Most of the whores I met were thin because there wasn't enough to eat, like many poor people live these days. I know there were finer whorehouses around. Where you have to pay a fortune for a smile from those beauties, maybe Clair was one of these. Finally I could lay her on the bed, she was agitated and her skin glowed.

„Is there a doctor on this ship?" I asked Jim, who seemed just as concerned as I was.

„No, Sir. She's some kind of a doctor."

„I thought she was a whore?" I wondered, remembering my mother pulling cold, wet cloth around my calves when I was a kid.

So I got up and told the maid to bring me cold water. And a few cloth.

„Her father called her a whore because she married the wrong guy and got pregnant," Jim explained while I tried to give Clair some water.

She spitted it out.

„Clair..." she whispered.

The maid was back and I asked her to take Clair's stockings off. She nodded and whispered: „Yes, Sir," and smiled at me, but I only had eyes for poor Clair.

But then I had to turn away, because the maid did what I told her. Jim sat at the table again, nibbling at a chicken leg. Well, I wasn't hungry anymore, I was full of fear that Clair wouldn't make it.

„It's done, Sir," the maid said.

„You have to change them when they get warm," I sighed because I told her before.

„I...I have...some work in the kitchen. I'm the only maid here," she mumbled.

I nodded and waved, so she left. I sat next to Clair's legs and start changing the cloth. Again, she called for Clair, but this time with worry in her voice.

„Why is she saying her own name?" I asked.

„It's not her's. It's her daughters," Jim mumbled.

I sighed again.