The Life-Changing Ring of a Telephone

Lucy eventually found herself in Claudette's driveway. She couldn't exactly remember how she got there, but she was there nonetheless. She turned off the car and followed the stone steps that approached the elegant house, slightly blinded by the waterfall of tears that descended down her face and splashed helplessly onto the ground beneath her. She knocked on the gigantic, wooden door and waited silently for a reply. Within seconds the door was open, revealing the tall, beautiful figure of Mrs Marchant, standing with her arms wide open, ready to comfort the sobbing adolescent.

"It's okay, ma chéri, it will be okay. Tout sera bien, all will be okay," Claudette's mother comforted, stroking Lucy's long locks and leading her inside like a lost puppy.

Claudette appeared at the bottom of the stairs, a look of worry easily visible across her face.

"Oh Lucy, what's the matter?" Claudette asked, taking one of Lucy's quivering hands in both of her own and leading her up the stairs.

"It... It... It was a bad one," was all Lucy could hiccup out between sobs.

Claudette shoved the colourful collection of pillows and stuffed toys off the canopy-covered bed and sat down on the soft quilt, pulling Lucy down beside her.

"It w-was a bad one," Lucy stuttered out again. "I d-didn't k-know what t-to do. Where t-to g-go."

"Oh, honey," Claudette sympathised. "Talk to me about it, it will make you feel better."

Mrs Marchant appeared at the bedroom door with a steaming mug clasped between her hands. She pushed the warm mug of tea into Claudette's shivering hands.

"Here, ma chérie, I brought you a- a- Oh I can't remember the English word une tisane," Mrs Marchant said with a sympathetic smile.

"Mama, I think you mean a herbal tea," Claudette helped.

"D'accord, a 'erbal tea. Now, let me know if you need anything, dear. Anything at all," she said before disappearing out of the door.

Lucy lifted the tea to her mouth and took a long sip before opening her lips and spilling her heart out to her best friend who sat beside her.

"M-Mum and Dad are fighting again," Lucy explained, her stutters gradually growing further and further apart. "But this one is a bad one. I don't k-know what to do. M-mum is staying with Grandma Jean tonight. S-she told me that she's staying there t-til she calms down. She s-said that she'd call me t-tonight."

"Oh, sweetie," Claudette soothed, setting a box of chocolates down on the bed beside Lucy's quivering figure. Her motherly side took control of her whole body as she softly stroked Lucy's hair while the teary-eyed girl stuffed her mouth with the sugary anti-depressants and sipped on her warm beverage.

"I know this must be hard for you," Claudette continued, "I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through. Oh, honey. I just want you to know that I'm here for you. Katie is here for you too. So is Annabelle. We will always be here for you, hun. You know that right. I promise you this, if you ever need a shoulder to cry on, an ear to listen or a friend to go to concerts with. I'm here for you. It will all be okay, your parents just need some time apart. The break will be good for them, they will see what they will miss without each other and how much they miss and love you. Both your parents love you so much. It's only for a night or two. Before long your mum will be back home. And until then, my arms are always open and you can camp out here in protest. Like you're going on strike from your family."

"A family strike," Lucy repeated, the last of her tears drying from their spots on her blotchy cheeks. "I like the sound of that."

"I knew you would, hun. Now, finish your tea and brace yourself for an epic evening of playing fetch with Socks and staying up late watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine. That's the best break up cure I know."