Chapter 1:Fate

Chapter 1:Fate

As the sun slowly fell and the city of Slyphia was shrouded in darkness, only one house held light which can be easily seen from afar.Now this is where the story should start, the beginning of a boy who sought power and glory, met the love of his life, survived life-and-death situations, and did things for the greater good but before anything else, we go back to the house.

            “Now boy, y-you don’t really have to do this you know” said the mayor of Sylphia nervously as he is tightly bound by metal chains

            “I know I don’t,I have to” said a cloaked figure coolly as he pointed a dagger on the mayor’s chest

            “Please,spare me!”pleaded the mayor.”This is all I have!” said the mayor as he pointed at a very good looking safe.As the cloaked man opened the safe,he saw a small amount of money,roughly reaching 300 chromas.

            “For a town mayor,you sure own vast amounts of money” said the cloaked man sarcastically.”Anyway,I think this will suffice.I take my leave now,mayor” he added as he broke the nearest window and jumped from the house’s third floor.

            “He must be crazy” thought the mayor as he watched the man glide through the air with his cloak.

            As the man remained in mid-air with the help of his cloak,a forceful wind swept his cloak away.He landed on the concrete ground surprisingly soft,as though his feet were feather.As the clouds passed through,moonlight finally illuminated the boy.He has a small and nimble body,the perfect body for a thief.He also has  forget-me-not blue eyes and fierce,red hair.

            My name is Cyrus the “Black Cloak” as the local villagers call me.I just went to the mayor’s house and “asked” him for a small amount of money.The mayor generously “gave” me of what little gold he had left in his safe.I  passed through streetlight after streetlight until I finally reached my destination,the abandoned church.Even though it was long abandoned,it still serves as a beacon of hope to the poorest of villagers who took refuge here,even my remaining family.Our mother died many years ago and weeks after my mother’s death,my father went missing and was never found again.Since then,I had to do all sort of jobs to keep my younger sibling alive.

            “Brother,brother! Can I buy new clothes? My shirt is beginning to rip again” asked Kyle,Cyrus’ younger brother

            “Not yet Kyle,I have to buy our food and get a new cloak.You can buy clothes next time”

            “Really!?” said Kyle as he jumped with joy and a smile in his face

            “Really” replied Cyrus as he smiled back to his younger brother

            Cyrus watched with deep pity as Kyle hopped away from sight with utmost happiness etched in his face.Cyrus felt hatred against himself because he can’t do anything to provide such basic commodities to his sibling even though he is one of the fastest and strongest thief in the glorious city of Sylphia.

            “Makes you want to cry,doesn’t it?” spoke a familiar voice behind Cyrus’ back.He turned around and with an emotionless look,he saw Jerry. He is one,if not the best,thief (and not to mention the noisiest) Cyrus ever knew in the city.

            “By the way,I’ve heard that you robbed the mayor’s house.So,how much did you rob? A thousand or a couple more?” asked Jerry with obvious greed in his eyes

            “300” said Cyrus in a calm voice

            “300? 300 000 chromas??" asked Jerry,now becoming more excited