Prologue : A Blast From The Past

Prologue

Everyone has their own story. In our little town, anything's possible. I guess that's all you need to know before this story starts. Anything's possible. At least, in my town. My name is Chloe, and this is my story.

◆◇◆◇

3 May 2003

The school bus rumbled to a stop. The doors opened, and little 5-year old Chloe stepped out.

"Bye Austin! Bye Shelly!" She waved behind at her two friends. Her mother had come out of the house and was now walking down the porch steps.

"Bye!" They answered in unison. The doors shut, and school bus roared away.

"So how was school? Did you have a good time?" Chloe's mother asked her when she was close enough to be heard.

Chloe nodded, answering,"Yes I did!" And she began to fill her mother in with the day's events.

While she was talking, her eyes locked with another pair of eyes from next door. Eyes that belonged to another person.

And that person was staring right at her.

The first thing that she noticed was his eyes. They looked mysterious and deep. Little Chloe smiled at the person as she continued to speak, not even suspecting a thing, but all he did was harden his gaze.

Chloe now stepped onto the porch steps. She glanced back to where the boy was standing next door, and saw that he was still staring at her. Not even having a second thought about it, she smiled cheerfully and waved at the boy, entering the house just as her mother called, "Chloe! Lunch!"

After Chloe shut the door, the boy continued staring at where she was standing just a minute ago with those deep, deep eyes. Deep eyes that held something. Something that no one should ever know about.

~~~

It was Saturday. Little Chloe had gone outside to play in the backyard with her older sister.

"3,4,5..."

Chloe ran around their backyard, trying to find the best hiding spot.

"6,7,8..."

Chloe now ran up to the front yard, trying her best to make her footsteps as inaudible as possible. As she reached the front yard, she looked around again for a suitable hiding place. Just then, she saw someone who she thought would be able to help her. Smiling her usual smile, she turned to next door's front yard, where that someone was doing something that she could not see from where she was.

"Hey!" She called. The boy quickly tried to hide whatever he was doing and now turned to her. He looked about seven or eight years old, Chloe decided. She walked over to his front yard, becoming curious about what he had just been engaged in only minutes before.

"What?" The boy answered. Even though he had just spoken one word, Chloe thought that he must have been pretty mature for his age.

"What were you doing back there?"

"I was watering the plants." The boy now looked uncomfortable.

"Oh," Chloe chirped, still unfazed by his look. "Well anyway, I was wondering if you could help me--"

"Chloe! I found you, I found you!" Chloe's sister now came running over. She stopped at where Chloe was standing and embraced her in a tight hug.

"Ahhhh!" Chloe squealed and began playfully pushing her sister away from her.

The two sisters carried on playing with each other. The boy, who had now grown bored of this moment, started off toward his house. Chloe noticed this and quickly shouted to him, "Wait! You wanna play with us?"