0

I could hear the patter of the rain hitting the sidewalk as I walked upon it; it was euphoric in a way. The cool breeze hitting my wet clothes made me shiver but regardless I continued walking towards the bus shelter that I could see a few metres ahead. I couldn't exactly remember why I decided to go for a walk on a day that I knew would have rain, but at the time it seemed important.

Vehicles loudly drove past me and honked, which was unusual as there was no traffic problems that I could notice. I diverted my gaze back to the walk way and thought of yesterday and what had happened at School. Abigail Wently had finally had enough of the constant torture she suffered from her peers and had thrown herself off of the assembly hall roof. She fell 200 metres and broke her neck. I shuddered thinking of it; the sound of her hitting the ground playing over and over in my head. It seemed it was something that I couldn't stop thinking of, no matter how hard I tried.  

By the time that I reached the bus shelter the rain had gotten noticeably heavier and the raindrops hurt when they hit my bare legs; I cursed at myself for wearing the denim skirt instead of my jeans. I sat at the shelter for a while before a young man approached and sat down too; I hadn't noticed him approaching which meant that I either wasn't paying attention or he had somehow magically appeared. I decided to assume that I had been in my own world. 

"It's quite cold, isn't it?" His smooth voice said after minutes of us sitting there in silence. My eyes snapped up towards his direction and I was able to take in his appearance. He had short brown hair, striking green eyes and a chiseled jawline; he was the type of man that you saw in magazines. He was gorgeous.

"I guess so." I shrugged, ringing out my shirt a bit so that it wasn't dripping. I wanted to face palm as i realised that my shirt was white and he would definitely be able to see straight through it. I kept my composure however and acted as though I didn't care. 

He looked me up and down before reaching into his large backpack and pulling a sweater from it. It was a faded black and from what I could tell was slightly oversized. He passed it to me with a soft smile, "Here. Don't want any pervs driving past and getting a good look, that's definitely something that would make anyone uncomfortable." I took it gingerly from him and it occurred to me that, that could have been what people were honking at. 

"Are you sure? I mean it's your jumper, I don't want to take it from you" I asked, holding it half way between us. He nodded and pushed it closer to me. I took it and thanked him then slipped it over my head. "I never got your name."

"Ethan" He smirked, "And yours?"

"Raven. Nice to meet you, I guess" I said, giving him an awkward little wave. I lowered my hand and frowned, my eyes looking at my lap. "So what brings you here?"

"What do you mean? It's a bus shelter and it's raining." He stated, pointing at the side of the road which was flowing as though it was a river. 

"Well you left your house for a reason today, whether it was to come here or not isn't the point. You had something in mind." I easily replied, adjusting my body so that I was leaning  against the wall part of the shelter and looking at him.

He frowned ever so slightly and that was when I noticed that he was an interesting person; he definitely had a story behind him and I wanted to know what it was. "I stole money from some rich dude and accidentally killed him." 

"Awesome" I nodded. I was definitely right about him being interesting. "So what are you doing now?"

"Waiting for a bus. Wanna come?" He responded, looking at me seriously. I paused and thought about it. My life is boring, my family is dead and I live in a shitty flat shared with four different people. 

"Sure, I mean it's not like I have anything better to do." I shrugged. His face when from a flat look to a surprised one.

"Well, I mean that's good because you would've had to come even if you said no. Can't let you go running around telling people you saw me, I'm wanted." He said. He then stood up and slung his bag over his shoulders, "The bus is here." 

I picked up my belongings and stood next to him, watching the large bus approach. When it stopped, it took forever for us to get on due to how slow the door was. We dashed through the rain and straight into the warm vehicle; the floor was slippery which was probably because a lot of other people had jumped on to escape the horrid weather. I stumbled a little but as I did, Ethan reached out his arm and balanced me. 

"Thanks" I huffed, noticing that his hand was still on my arm. He nodded and slowly took his hand away. He began to walk ahead of me, trying to find spare seats on the busy bus. He found two that are free and directly next to each other. He sat by the window and gestured for me to sit next to him. 

During the bus trip, I thought to myself about how I should be scared of the man sitting next to me but for some strange reason, I wasn't. Not in the slightest. 

After half an hour of sitting next to Ethan in silence, he broke it. "So what's your story?"

"Sorry, what? My story?" I asked confusedly. Why would he want to know about me? I'm not nearly as interesting as what he appeared to be.

"I want to know about you. If we're running from the law now, we may as well know each other." He smiled, his green eyes connecting with my plain brown.

"Oh...I'm not really that special. I grew up in an orphanage, my adoptive family took me in when I was 12 and they were killed when I was 15- two years ago. I live with my sort-of-friends and I like music." I sighed, rolling my eyes at how boring my life has been. 

"I'm sorry. Were you close with your family?"

I shook my head, "Not really. I think that they regretted adopting me because I never really got a long with them. I tried to but we just had nothing in common at all. They were very quite and conservative; hard to talk to" I shrugged, "It was a car accident. Someone cut their brake line and it all went bad." Ethan looked at me with sympathy and placed a hand on my knee. I try my best to hide the fact that I felt butterflies rush through my body as soon as there was skin on skin contact. "What about you, what's your story?"