Chapter Four: He's Here

She doesn't sleep at all that night, only allowing herself to fall asleep after the sun was perched high in the sky. That afternoon, she wakes up to her phone ringing. She feels her gut shrink as she answers it.

"Hello?" Her voice is weak and barely audible.

"Tonight." Just like every single call, it ends with a dead tone caused by the other person hanging up.

"It's nearly eight pm, how in the hell could he come tonight?! It is tonight!" She calls out to the emptiness of the living room. Megan lazily stretches, and stands up, making her way around the house. All the windows are covered and locked, all of the doors are locked.

It's unlocked. What...? What?! She tears up quickly from fear as she checks the back door again, praying that her imagination is just playing a trick on her. The door was locked when she fell asleep, but now it's not. She turns the lock on the door, slowly backing away from it. Someone could be in the house with her... The person who calls her could be here.

The feeling of being watched sets in as soon as she walks into the living room. She knows this feeling. The man with the blonde hair and blue eyes... It must be him, she thinks, He's coming for me.

She just wants to escape the feeling. She wants to hide... so that's exactly what she does. She takes her phone and goes to the basement. She's very cautious when going down the stairs, but she can see that no one is downthere, so she runs the rest of the way down and into a corner. The corner has a desk sitting in it, which she pulls herself up onto. She sits with her back in the corner so she can overlook the entire room. Nothing can sneak up on her if she can see everything that's there.

At 11 pm, the phone rings. She answers it while her eyes continuously scanning the room. "Hello?"

"The storm is a bit annoying, don't you think? The power could go out at any time... It's a shame, really. I'll be there soon." Of course it was him. Who else would call her at this hour? She gets a sudden burst of courage before speaking.

"I'd prefer that you wouldn't come."

"That's no way to talk to me, Megan." Dead tone. She rolls her eyes. The line dropping was probably the most annoying thing about this person. For the moment, she no longer feared him, she hated him. The lights flicker, and her hatred turns back to fear.

She slides off of the desk and walks around to all of the tiny basement windows. She peeks out of and relocks them all, feeling no need to cover them. She doesn't want to make it seem suspicious.

As she makes her way across the basement, the lights go out. The feeling of being isolated in the dark terrifies her, and she feels her heart race as she slowly drops to her hands and knees. She crawls over to the desk and instead of getting on it, she sits under it, pulling a nearby chair in front of her to somewhat conceal her hideout.

She hears a car coming coming closer and closer to her house, and realizes that it's in her driveway. Her phone rings, making her jump. She answers it quickly, just to make the noise stop. She had no chance to say anything before the person on the other line did.

"Here it goes. I'm coming in." This time, she was the one to end the call. She didn't want to hear anything else from the voice of the person she fears in her life.