chapter 4.

It had taken her nothing more than fifteen minutes to get to the café and at least two more standing in front of the wooden door, gathering enough courage to enter it and finally figure out which one of her best friends was a witch. Apparently, that's how her life was at that point. Not to mention having to look away every time she'd catch the glimpse of light green energy flying through the air when a bus would ride down the street. Turned out every public transportation had their own protection spells to prevent accidents. It also turned out that there were witches in job positions that Kathy could have never imagined on her own.

           People that walked by or had in heart entering or exiting the café, were stealing weird glances at her, and rightfully so; there was even a mother of twins that walked up to her to ask her if she needed help. One couldn't really choose to ignore when another was acting weird. Kathy was aware that she was odd one there.

           It took the sound of a message notification dropping on her phone to get Kathy to enter the café. She had received a text from her mother, asking her if everything was going well. She was aware that it was one of the woman's ways of checking if she was safe. Ever since her parents had told her about her magic powers and the civil war between the covens, they had been extra careful, checking if she was arriving to school safely, if she was with her friends or by herself during the day—just checking if her daughter was okay when she wasn't home. Kathy endured it well, with the thought in mind that they had her best interest at heart.

           The moment she entered the coffee shop, her gaze traveled the room. Before anything else, she was invaded by the scent of freshly ground coffee and the incessant chattering of people, the sound of cups sitting on its plates and the waiters' footsteps walking around while everyone sat comfortable in leathery chairs and couches.

            And then, something caught her eye.

           There was a string of forest green energy enveloping a cup of coffee as pale and slender fingers wrapped themselves around it, lifting it up to rosy thin lips, fingers and lips that she recognized. There was a familiar ring on the girl's left hand, a beautiful purple quartz decorating it. It emanated its own energy, but it was white rather than the forest green that she had seen leaving the girl's fingers.

           A curtain of hair hid her face but Kathy already knew who it was before she could even turn around and meet her stare, greeting her with an apologetic smile and that beautiful color of her eyes that the red-head had always felt compelled to.

           Blonde hair. Blue eyes.

           It was Zoey.

           "Hey... The no eye glasses look suits you."

           Zoey's attempt to start a conversation didn't work on Kathy. The red-head had walked up to the table her best friend had chosen, next to the window so she could see the park on the other side of the street (she knew her too well), but she hadn't even opened her mouth to speak. All she could do was stare at her best friend with a dumbstruck expression on her face. 

           If she had to be completely honest with herself, Kathy hadn't imagined for a second that the girl sitting at the café waiting for her would be Zoey. Instead, she had walked the entire way from home to the café with the thought in mind that she'd find Ana waiting for her with a book on her hands and that same mysterious look on her deep dark brown eyes that had always provoked a feeling of adventure to rise in her.

           "I take it you're surprised?" Zoey's expression had changed from the usual sweet and misleadingly childish cheerfulness to a more serious and cool one. She had motioned with her head for the seat in front of her, looking around the café as if searching for any threats. Now that Kathy thought about it, she did that a lot, ever since she had first met her. "Sit—I'll tell you everything."