Chapter 1: Introduction

2/4/18   

This is a true story.

Yes, I know. I sound very dramatic but trust me, whatever I'm telling you right now from this chapter and onwards is true. Do you hear me? TRUE. It happened to me. Out of everyone, it happened to me. A 16 year old boy who supposedly lived a normal life, hanging out with friends and experiencing the joys and stresses of adolescence. 

Besides having my house burned down by an anonymous arsonist and being forced to stay at Hotel Ignis, what I'm about to tell you is the worst thing that could happen to anyone. Period. As I've already mentioned, I used to be a normal teenage boy. But what happened? I didn't go crazy but whatever happened in those past three nights prior to my stay at Hotel Ignis, was definitely crazy. Everything about it seemed out of this world, something that only the forces of hell could devise.

Do you know a place called Epping Forest? It all happened in that very place. Located in my small town of Epping and about half an hour drive from my house. In case you were wondering, I do not live in either the UK or Australia. Living in a small town, talking about Epping Forest is a big deal because its the place where most of the breaking headlines take place. 

What headlines, you may ask? I wish this wasn't the case but everytime a news story about Epping Forest was broadcasted, its about a disappearance. The victims were diverse, coming from all ages and backgrounds. Incidents like this almost happened every year and broadcasting it on TV and the newspapers was almost like an empty ritual, where viewers ritually cleanse themselves of tears and pray that they won't be next.

The trend of disappearances started around the 90s, although there were a lot of folks in my town who believed it may have stretched back even further on the timeline. Shouldn't the police be investigating these long due crimes? Almost everyone with a functioning mind hoped so, but, due to the bizarre circumstances, no plausible reason has been offered to comfort the grieved families whose members have been lost to the darkness of Epping Forest.

Many people believe that there's a serial killer roaming around, with a connection to the horrific events of 1800s, events that shook Epping and for years, too disturbing to record in detail until recently, where it has been documented in several niche true crime novels. The police dismissed their claims as "conspiracy theories" and simply claimed that the incidents were too irregular for an organised conspiracy to occur. 

"They just ran away. To find a new life, a new home. Anything they could do to leave this small town. After all, most of the victims were adolescents."

These were statements that were constantly force-fed upon us, to prevent us from having those torturous sleepless nights. 

Anyways, enough of my talking and let's begin shall we? Just a reminder, I must disclose to you that I am an actual survivor of these disappearances. I've realised the horrific truth behind these events the hard way, in person, along with my friends, who shall be greatly missed. The things I'll be discussing are pretty brutal so if you have a soft heart, please take caution.

(For those with stronger hearts, don't worry, the Wi-Fi here is excellent so I'll be frequently posting new chapters.) 

I'll stop writing for now as I walk around my room, staring in fascination at the idol that stands on top of my bookcase. The idol reminded me of one of the idols that the glorious ancients once had. I hear a knock on my door, a very loud and demanding one.

It's Maria Cortez, the hotel maid who delivers refreshing drinks to her guests. Every room in this hotel has mini fridges and its a pleasure to know that someone is thoughtful enough to cater to everyone's needs. 

I'll be back once I'm fully hydrated!