"A Conversation Which Started During the Night"

~Summary~

The eldest two converse about nothing and everything as night turns into day.
================================

"You realize it won't change anything."

"Who can say for certain? Perhaps it can."

"Well, I still think it won't."

"Your opinion matters little in comparison to theirs."

"Why?"

"Hmm?"

"Why does it? Why does anything need to be compared? Why are we here in the first place?"

"... I don't understand."

"That makes two of us, then."

Silence.

"Just... Just tell me why."

"... I already have-"

"A quick brush off is nothing. Tell me."

"You wouldn't understand."

"And you're so sure?"

"... Why are you here?"

"That's what I should be asking."

A cool breeze swept across the bridge, disturbing a small pile of leaves. The dried foliage was easily blown away, landing upon the water which shattered the stillness of its quiet surface.

"You shouldn't have come..."

"I'm here, aren't I? There's a damn good reason for that."

"There truly isn't-"

"Come home."

Ripples spread out across the lake, small rivulets gradually expanding into longer, thinner bands the further out they traveled.

"Just... We miss you. I miss you. Does that matter to you at all?"

"... I..."

"No apparently it doesn't, 'cause if it did you wouldn't even be here at this moment."

"You shouldn't be here-"

"I'm here because of you! If you don't want that, then you'll give up and come home with me!"

"Why?! Why should I? Do you even know how any of this feels? Why should I bother returning to the one place where no one cares- where no one ever does?!"

"We're your family, idiot! Sure we can be hard on each other at times and be overall shitty, but that doesn't mean we care about you any less than we ever did!"

The surface of the lake began to still, soon resuming its former glassy appearance as the ripples became obsolete.

""Ever did"? Well, I'm certain you will be pleased to know that I choose not to remain amongst you all any longer than I have already dared."

"That came out wrong, it wasn't-"

"Go home. I wish to be alone."

"... I can't do that."

Moonlight washed the bridge in silver as several clouds drifted past the oblique, pale disc in the sky, the two figures standing apart on the cold cobblestone now reflecting off of the water with vivid clarity.

"... Why? Why can't you-"

"I don't want to lose you! That's why even if it takes all night, I'll stand right here!"