Chapter 28

Lexa paced around her bed anxiously wringing her hands. Her eyes were red and puffy with bags underneath them. Clarke had yet to wake up after a day and Lexa was growing increasingly worried. The previous night she had carried Clarke to their bed and placed her gingerly under the covers after her surgery. Niko had learned much from Clarke and was nearly as good as Clarke with his stitches and surgery. Even though he had done a magnificent job fixing her, she had still not woken up and Lexa feared that the damage was irreparable. Niko had assured her that Clarke would be okay, she only needed rest but Lexa was wary. She had seen the amount of blood Clarke had lost and she could not get the image of Clarkes dead body, Turid's knife protruding from her chest, out of her head.
Indra had approached her several times, warning her that she needed to address her people. Neglecting her duties was unwise and would only further any hate towards Clarke. Lexa had only grimaced at her, still angered by Indra's attempt to stop her from saving Clarke. If Clarke was not the strongest person she had ever met, she would have died. Lexa wouldn't have reached her in time because of Indra. Clarke saved herself, but if she had been unable to move she would have died right in front of Lexa's eyes and for that, Lexa would never forgive Indra. Even though she could not forgive Indra, she also knew that Indra was right and that she needed to address her people.
Her pace quickened for a few moments before stopping completely in front of Clarke. She took one of her hands and held it softly between both of her own. Clarke had been so brave, she had accepted the fight even though she knew the odds were against her, for Lexa. So that they could be together. Clarke had faith in their love and Lexa had to have faith in their love as well. She gave Clarke a lingering kiss on the cheek and stormed out of the room. She yelled to Indra to gather her people and stormed outside of her tower. The horns were blasting and her people including some remaining skaikru gathered in front of her.
"Klark kom skaikru has defeated Turid in her trials. Once she has made a full recovery she will stand at my side once again a full fledged trikru second and official warrior. Klark has proven herself as a grounder and she will be accepted. Once Klark kom trikru is born she will be one of our own and I expect her to be treated as such. She will be the first dual member of hopefully many to come in our search for peace. She will be Klark kom skaikru, but she will also be Klark kom trikru, the heda's equal and will serve as a warrior amongst you. Klark is a leader just as I am and she will lead beside me. Respect her as you would respect me, she has earned it." With that Lexa turned on her heel to the murmuring of the crowd and returned to her Clarke.
When she reached her room Clarke's eyes were open and staring into hers. "Klark!"
Clarke attempted to sit up to reach her, but fell back into the furs with a groan. Lexa was at her side in a second, "don't try to move Clarke, just rest."
"I'm sorry Lex, I did my best but I failed you."
"No Klark, you did amazing. I am so proud of you, you are stronger than anyone I have ever met. You could never fail me, it is I who failed you." Clarke attempted to protest but she spluttered with the effort, no words making their way out from between their lips. Lexa, stroked her hair to calm her, Lexa's eyes anguished.
Clarke only shook her head and brought her hand up to Lexa's abdomen, "we have matching scars now," she managed with a soft laugh. Lexa shook her head, "hush Klark, rest now. You need it to recover."
"You will stay?"
"Of course my love. We will talk when you wake next. For now, sleep. I will still be here when you wake up, that's a promise."
Clarke sighed and snuggled closer to Lexa's figure on the bed, her eyes began to droop and she drifted off into dreamland. Lexa's grip tightened on her lovers hand, she swore to herself that she would never allow Clarke to be used by her people again. Clarke deserved their respect even if Lexa had to force her people into treating her as such. Clarke would be her queen one day. Their queen one day, and Lexa had to do something about the way her people felt about Clarke and the sky people to keep her safe.