I wish...

~ Part 1- Fire~

I saw him just across the divide. Standing in a blue and white haze of cold and frost.

"Hey. What's your name?" I asked him. He stood quietly, curiously, only observing.

"My name is Jett," he answered, "and you are?"

"Scarlett," I answered quickly. We stood there, looking at one another as if through a looking glass. Locked in place by prying eyes. I couldn't help but notice the long, thin scars across his upper arm. I stared at him, trying to take in every detail.

I've never seen one up close before... Makes you wonder what you don't know... Then again, or worlds are separate. Two different ends of the spectrum. It was rare to meet and opposite along the divide, as it was extremely risky.

"What are you doing here?" I gestured to the divide. I know he knew the risks just as well as I. Get too close, and poof! You disappeared. Destroyed by the raw power of the opposite.

It was an ongoing war, as we all knew. Fire versus Ice. Hot versus Cold. Most people would believe the fire would prevail instantly. Most people are wrong. And if you've ever tried to start a fire in the bitter winter wind, then you'll know the struggle.

"Same as you. I'm curious," he said. He put his hand up carefully. His fingertips grazing the shimmery surface of the divide. I matched my hand with his. An electric charge shot between us and we were both shot backwards, tumbling to the ground.

"Holy... " He began. And that's when things became clear. History of Ice flickered through my head like an old film. The wars and ancestry of the 'Eskimos' as we called them. I gasped, trying to grasp the concepts of what I'd just experienced...