Prologue - A New Life

Author's note: This first section is kind of repetitive; there aren't many differences with what's in the game. I mostly wrote it to get in the right mindset for starting this story. Feel free to skip ahead to the next chapter with this in mind: the prologue is mostly just her saying what happened because it's a reoccurring dream of her's. 

It was an absolutely beautiful day on the day everyone died. Completely perfect, in the truest sense of the word. But I guess that's why they say all good things come to an end.

I often dream about that day. Waking up in the arms of my loving husband, the hypnotizing smell of the bacon and eggs that Codsworth cooked for us, the melodic sound of Shaun's laughter. It would almost seem peaceful, that is, if that dream didn't end in the destruction of humanity.

***

Nate's arms wrap around my waist as I put on my mascara.

"Come on," I chuckle, "Do you want me to poke my eye out?"

"You know, you don't need all that makeup," Nate says sweetly, "You look beautiful either way." He adds as he releases me.

I rolled my eyes at him playfully. "Uh-huh. Go get ready." 

I hear him walk off to the bedroom to get dressed. Once I finish my mascara, I apply my lush red lipstick, smacking my lips once before examining myself. As I gaze into my reflection and fix my hair, I hear Codsworth in the kitchen. I back away from the mirror, and head towards his mechanical whirring and humming. 

"Morning, mum!" Codsworth chimes as he sees me. "I made your favourite; eggs, bacon, and coffee!"

In one arm, Codsworth held a pitcher of coffee that he used his other arm to heat up. His third arm sat idly behind him, causing an odd reflection in his shiny silver exterior.

"Thank you, Codsworth." I reply as I sit down at the kitchen table. I pick up my fork, twirling it around in my fingers before digging in. Everything tasted amazing; eggs fluffy and bacon crispy. 

Nate places a hand on my shoulder before he sits down next to me. I smile at him before taking a sip of my coffee. 

"You seem cheerful today." Nate notes as he eyes me curiously. 

Before I can respond, Shaun starts crying. I start to stand, but Codsworth quickly rushes off to tend to him. 

"I'm really glad we ended up getting Codsworth." Nate says softly as I return to my seat. 

"Mm." I agree with a mouthful of bacon. 

Just then there's a knock at the door and I hear a familiar muffled voice talking about the incoming apocalypse. I roll my eyes and rise from my position at the table. I open the door to find a blond haired man in a tan suit and hat. He wore a red tie and a disgustingly happy smile on his face. 

"Good morning ma'am!" he says as he tips his hat at me. "Vault-Tec calling!" He says gleefully. 

"Can I help you?" I ask, slightly annoyed.

"I'm sorry if I interrupted something, but this is of the utmost importance. You see, Vault-Tec is the foremost builder of state of the art underground fallout shelters! Vaults if you will; luxury accommodations where you and your family can wait out the horrors of nuclear devastation. I'm so glad that I finally got to speak to you; it's a matter of utmost importance, I can assure you." 

"You said that already." I said as I crossed my arms. 

"Oh, because it is important!" 

"What is?" I ask, stopping him again.