Intertwined plurality

As a little boy I loved mirrors. The instant response, the face smiling back at me in my happiest moments and crying along side with me on my darkest days.

Now, as I stand between two of these surreal reflective surfaces, I find myself  looking upon infinite worlds of possibilities. If I dare to look close enough I can seize a glimpse of what the present might hold if only my dreams turned into reality.

I touch the surface amazed by its lack of imperfections and I sink into the silvery mass of liquid. I let myself be shrouded into millions of pluralities, all different from me and yet the same in all aspects that matter.

I stop in one reality and I stand in awe. It looks so very real. I see myself happy. How long has it been since I've been so happy and so .. oh .. so full of life and energy? I'm swimming in my own pool in front of that huge mansion which is unmistakably mine as the crest on the front door dictates.

The reflection in the watery surface grabs my attention. I jump and succumb to the vortex of infinite realities once more.

I’m in an office, so many levels above the ground. The view is outstanding and the city looks modern. There’s scarcely any furniture but the little that is gives a formidable elegance to the oversized room. Admiring the view through the glass wall is again me or, better said, another me. The huge trademark on the back wall reveals the name of the company I now own and the slogan United we stand.

I touch the metallic surface of the wall and the world blurs out yet again.

I’m at a small comfy house. There’s a white dog barking at me and a huge front lawn. An out of this world beautiful girl walks towards my new self with two lemonades and kisses me softly and passionately before handing me one of the shinny glasses.

“How was your day?” she asks.

I look at the sweet liquid and my reflection looks right back at me. I blink.

I’m back. Back between a duality of mirrors. I now realise all those futures, presents and pasts could’ve been mine if only I hadn’t spent all my life in front of this mirror.

Now I’m old, much too old to start again. I’m beyond what any mirror can fix no matter how mystical.

I small tear slides on my face and as I see my reflection in it through the mirror ahead...

The once untethered silver surface lays broken at my feet and I feel free. Free of self-consciousness and self-limitations. Purely and utterly free.