Chapter 1

In the early morning of forever sunny California, a certain white cat was lurking in the shadows of an abandoned building. He stretched a little and looked to see if the coast was clear before shifting into his full human form. With a sigh, he ran his fingers through his hair and walked out of the shadows, attempting to blend in with the rest of the humans, even if they looked at him weirdly. He didn't blame them. In their eyes, he was strange because he had one blue eye and one green eye.

Oh, if only they knew what the real him was like.

He was taken from scientists a year ago. Him being stupid, he was naive to follow them when they told him they were just some backpackers that wanted to show him something 'awesome' that they found. Someone would think that him being nineteen, he would know better. But, that apparently wasn't true. So, a year later, he was poked and prodded at, having strange liquids put into his system. The whole ordeal caused him to turn into a hybrid, apparently the first because he was the first successful project of theirs.

The fact that he was the first sent shivers tingling down his spine. He didn't want to think of what they did to the failed projects.

He had managed to escape the laboratory only a month ago, able to escape before they came up with the idea of putting a chip in him. He was lucky for that, since they would have been able to track his every move. Now, he was roaming the streets as a homeless cat. It had its advantages and disadvantages being a hybrid. The advantage was that people would give him food, but that was also a disadvantage. He didn't like getting all the attention.

Getting shaken out of his thoughts at a rather loud noise across the sidewalk from him, he tilted his head curiously and looked over, noticing a couple people talking loudly.

"Jackson! Could you do your job right? I seriously can't stand having to clean up your messes!" A red haired women said, sighing exasperatedly.

"I'm sorry, Tara. It's not my fault people are inconsiderate." The male named Jackson grumbled, having just gotten out of a heated argument with a man.

Mark's stomach grumbled when he could smell food from the store behind the two people arguing. And knowing that with his colored eyes, he'd only be treated like a freak, so he escaped into the shadows. He shifted into his cat form and trotted across the street, prancing a little to make sure he looked good. He meowed a little and made sure to look pitiful as he pawed at the store's window, feeling rather than hearing when the lady finally paid attention to him.

"Aww, what a beautiful cat. Jackson, go get him something to eat. He's probably really hungry." Tara said, running her fingers through Mark's fur, which made him start purring immediately.

With a sigh, Jackson did as told and walked into the little cafe that he worked at with Tara, going over to the kitchen and grabbing some tuna that he managed to find. Going back out, he set it down in front of the cat, who stared down at the food before starting to eat.

As he ate, Mark kept purring. He couldn't help it when he was currently be stroked on the head. He could tell that the woman petting him was trying to figure out if he had a home or not. Everyone did with stray cats.

"He doesn't have a collar. I wonder if he needs a home. I would take him, but I don't think he'd get along with Benjamin." Tara said, a pout on her face before she smiled a second later, an idea hitting her. "You could take him Jackson!" She said a moment later, turning to look at the man.

Jackson sputtered, staring at Tara before looking at the cat with an incredulous look. "I can't take care of a cat. I'm busy every day." He said.

"You go to the gym everyday after work and then to hang out with your friends. I know w hat your days are like, but cats don't really need that much attention other than food and water. You can take him Jacks." Tara responded, moving back towards the cat.