Instead

(A.N.) You might want to read this with scrolling mode on, if you're reading this on an iPod/iPhone, or whatever. Just a hint. You'll see!

- _ -

Nora walked onto the bus, holding the handrail with her right hand. Her timer read 1 minute and 32, no, 30 seconds until she met her soulmate. She sat down on the cracked polyester seat, listening to the jabbering of her classmates. She looked around her.

Everyone seemed normal, happy to be going to the Air and Space Museum. Nora herself was very pleased. This would be the day she met the person she was meant to be with, and then spend the day with them at her favorite museum in the whole world! It was going to be amazing. 59 seconds, her timer read.

Nora pulled her Tic Tacs out of her pocket and popped one in her mouth. After all, wouldn't want to meet your soulmate and have bad breath.

She closed her eyes as her timer counted down the final ten seconds.

10

9

8

7...

Someone boarded the bus.

Nora opened her eyes.

It was Ben, the new kid. He sauntered down the isle while looking at Nora. Her heart fluttered.

3

He walked toward her.

2

Closer...

1

He was past her seat and wrapping his arms around Nora's best friend, Heather. She was crying with happiness and kissed Ben full on the lips, closing her eyes, smiling into it.

The whole bus cheered except for Nora.

She stood up and forcefully walked off, making sure each footstep shook the bus. The doors closed behind her with a whoosh of warm air. Nora wrapped her trench coat around her, warding off the cold.

The timer read 0, flashing its red digits as though bragging.

0.

0.

0.

It was and always will be 0.

Nora stared at her timer. She traced the little display screen with her trembling fingers. Funny how your life could change in one instant because of one number, smaller than nothing.

0.

0.

Crack.

Nora ripped the timer from her wrist and threw it on the ground, directly in front of the bus tire.

Clenching her teeth, she exhaled sharply and knocked on the bus doors. They opened almost immediately and Nora calmly walked back on and walked down the isle. She heard giggling from the very back. Narrowing her eyes, she walked faster and saw it.

Heather and Ben, tangled in each other's arms, laughing and tickling and joking. Nora clenched her jaw so tight she thought her teeth would shatter, she stopped in front of the happy couple and stood there with her arms crossed.

Ben and Heather continued tickling each other, and Heather was laughing so hard she couldn't hear Nora clearing her throat.

Nora waited.

And waited.

After a full minute, she turned on her heel and stormed towards the front of the bus. Collapsing in a seat, she curled into a ball and let the tears flow.

It would always be 0.