prologue

"K-Kim Namjoon!" your voice rang throughout the nearly empty gymnasium. He was walking away from you, devastated of his now ex girlfriend's rejection of his promposal.

"Now isn't exactly the time Min Y/N..." he barely manages to mutter out, gripping onto the failed poster he spent weeks on making, staring straight into the shiny hardwood floor.

You bit your lip, walking over to him, you rested your hand on the shell of the man you've known for years, gently speaking, "Why not take me?"

His head instantly shot up at you, looking unsure, "I-I thought you were going with Jung Hoseok... after he was outted by Kim Seokjin.."

You shook your head, although you and Hoseok were like thorns on the same rose, him and your brother, Yoongi, were going to spend prom night at your place, having no actual interest in the dance itself.

"No way, he's just my best friend. We don't even have to go to the dance, ya know? Maybe we could go to like a super fancy dinner or like a drive-in like we've always talked about doing." You lowered your hand from his shoulder, looking at his devastated face.

The hope in his eyes always kept you going, and still seeing that hope there meant one thing: he had other intentions.

"You know, going to prom together isn't a bad idea, Y/N, so we are going, but we are going in the most extravagant fashion possible, and we will become the King and Queen of Prom to show up that cold-hearted Jong Jihye."

This became known to your circle of friends as the longest two months of all of your high school lives.