Chapter eight

THE morning on Monday was usually the most chaotic and frustrating time of the day, in fact—it was the time of day I despised most. Mr. Johnson had asked me to complete a number of things in one hour's time—certainly he thought I was some sort of superhero to ask me to work so quickly.

I've been running back and fourth from his office—either a cup of Starbucks coffee in my hand, a case file, or anything he requested me to get; and it couldn't have gotten harder.

The tightness of my black pencil skirt made it almost impossible to move, my buttoned jacket forced my chest in so much that I felt as though I were about to faint despite my difficulty in breathing.

And on top of all this, I was speaking (well, more like arguing) with my mother on the phone.

"Mum, please don't do this to me." I whispered on the speaker, making sure no one heard me as I quickly walked the halls of the building to get another cup of coffee for my boss.

"Sophia, darling, we miss you!" My mother, Wanda, exclaimed in the most motherly way possible, causing me to sigh—desperately wanting to end this call.

"You have Benedict! That should make up for my absence." I said, hoping that'd convince her. "But, you've away from England for so long, don't you miss it?" She asked.

"No, mum, I don't—not at the moment. I'll call you later, alright? Benedict should be on his plane already, you'll see one of your children soon." I quickly explained to her, and I heard her sigh from the other line—making me feel slightly guilty.

  "Alright. Take care, darling. I love you."
  "I will, love you too."
  "Don't stay at home too much!"
  "Mum, I have to go work. Take care. Goodbye."

I sighed—I never liked being away from my parents, but at the same time, I couldn't stand staying in their house (for some reason).

Especially with Benedict and his girlfriend, Sophie (who I think is pregnant, but regardless) and Benedict himself, it's just too overwhelming.

"Sophia!" I heard my boss's voice, causing me to bite my lip in anxiety and prepare for the doom which I am yet to face.

I quickly run to his office, carefully holding the coffee in my grasp in order not to spill it.

"Apologies, sir! I was speaking to-"

But before I could finish my sentence, I saw a face which distracted me.

"Charlie...?" I question, seeing as he leaned against my boss's desk with a grin plastered on his face. "Hey Soph!" He exclaimed, waving his hand at me.

Mr. Johnson chuckled, "Yeah, Charlie told me you two know each other since high school." He told me, and I laughed once I saw him laugh.

"Oh- uh, yes, we have." I nodded my head, walking closer to him and giving him his coffee.

Charlie grinned excitedly, "Yeah, Cary and I had a nice little chat. And I'm here to steal ya for the afternoon, aren't I, Cary?" He looked at my boss.

Cary nodded, taking a sip of his coffee. "That's right, maybe even the whole day." He said.

I squinted my eyes slightly at the two, who just looked at me. "...Um, is there something going on?" I asked, because honestly, I couldn't handle it.

Charlie shook his head and immediately walked up to my and hooked his arm with mine, "Let's get going, don't wanna waste time, now!" He cheered, and I merely raised my eyebrow in confusion.

"Take care." Cary waved at me and drank his coffee in satisfaction.

"B-But, who's-"
"Don't worry, Tanya will take over for today."

He reassured me, and I eventually complied and walked out of his office with Charlie.

"How's that for a surprise?" Charlie excitedly turned towards me and asked, and I couldn't help but laugh at him. "A lovely surprise, really. Is there something going on today?" I asked.

"Nah, not really. I just wanted to hang out with you, 'cause Bella's out filing a movie." He told me, and I nodded my head in understanding.

"Finally, you two made up?" I asked curiously, and Charlie smiled as he nodded his head. "Yeah. I knew it wouldn't last, anyway." He said, and I smiled.

"Well, that's wonderful, Charlie."

I said sincerely, because honestly, the last thing Charlie needs is a broken heart.