IFNT-OT6 Infinite Top Seed Track Review 1

1. BEGIN

A classic infinite intro, smooth, powerful, a bit jazzy in the beginning and overflowing with strings. It's a perfect prelude to the title track.

2. TELL ME

This song may seem strange at first because it actually starts with the chorus and it has a really odd flow. The future bass instrumental starts really slow, soft, mellow and repeats itself all along the song in a circular motion and then after a while Sunggyu's vocals explode suddenly (almost unexpectedly) in a fast pace beginning with a very smooth transition. The verse proceeds just as fast simply and effectively with a more electronic sound and amazing vocals plus Dongwoo's rap. Despite this, I have to say both the first verse and the second one don't seem to fit in the song. The build-up is slower with Sungjong light vocals and Woohyun's falsetto but then it picks up the pace again in the chorus which is so catchy and so artificial, with auto-tuned voices continuing the hook with "luv, luv, lu, lu, lu, lu," but still so powerful and natural with violin in the background.

The bridge is really sweet, slow and essential with only vocals, strings and the initial rhythm that picks up again to proceed towards Woohyun's astounding high note and the final chorus that ends abruptly. It's an unusual song made with a combination that could be considered weird because who would sing a song in a fast-paced way when the instrumental is slow, moody and just sad like you'd expect to find in a typical ballad? We can't really say this is ballad but it's a chill song powerful enough to also have dance vibes. And it's like here, the modern future bass sound has merged with the typical Infinite signature sound. I'd say it was quite experimental.

3. SYNCHRONISE

"Synchronise" is a song that mashes up rock-ish and electronic elements very well. The title is obviously very reminiscent of Infinite's own story and life. It starts with alluring guitar work and percussion that immediately bring us into a warm atmosphere. The first verse is very quiet, maybe also thanks to Myungsoo's sweet vocals, but it's very rhythmic too with almost a hopeful tone. The build-up is probably the most impressive part because the vocals are so good and the music becomes so heavy and so full of layers. It's like the previous hopeful tone reaches its peak to escalate in a beautiful chorus that is similar to a joyful march - electronic and full of percussion. The final part has more guitar in the background, which is as usual my weakness.

4. NO MORE

Piano opens this song suavely and sadly. It's really slow and sorrowful and Woohyun's heartfelt vocals from the start make it the perfect ballad, almost solemn. It picks up rhythm with Sunggyu's and Myungsoo's verses until we get to the chorus which is surprisingly brighter, hopeful even, a flawless combination of orchestral instrumental and pure high vocals. The "No no no no more" part is also very catchy. Myungsoo's voice sounds incredible in the next verse and his falsetto is to die for. Dongwoo's rap then makes the song more intense and it all seems to flow together very well. It's a dreamy track, for sure, and one of my favourites.

5. TGIF (DONGWOO SOLO)

This song fits Dongwoo's personal style perfectly. It's an upbeat alternative R&B track which begins with piano and then continues with a sick beat. It makes you want to really dance in a party honestly. Dongwoo's warm but sexy voice is totally ideal for this kind of music. The chorus is bold and catchy with Dongwoo's higher register. The song is also very sensual, sophisticated and in the second part with the rap we see how this is also very close to the hip-hop genre. The second part of the bridge becomes slower and full of electronic effects and Dongwoo's falsetto which brings us towards the final chorus.

6. PRAY (MAETEL'S SORROW)

THIS SONG! OH MY GOD! I'M IN HEAVEN *clears throat* I don't know if I can do a proper read unbiased review of this song. I'm sorry I'm just so in love with this track I don't even have the words to describe it. It's just heaven for me. It's so unique but still so Infinite. It starts with my 3 of my favourite things in the world: piano, violin string and electric guitar, in a melody that makes me think of an OST for some dramatic Hollywood movie... or a historical drama.... or just a movie about... tango. Can it possibly get better? Yeah, it can. The initial instrumental abruptly stops and then comes Dongwoo's deep voice with another kind of instrumental, more rhythmic and quite fast that now makes me imagine a detective story or an investigation scene or again a passionate TANGO.

The chorus is an astounding ensemble of strings, guitar and vocals and the violin that follows after is something ethereal, something that seems just straight out of heaven. Woohyun and Sunggyu's vocals are so powerful, aggressive and desperate in the chorus. Myungsoo's voice in the second build-up is so melodious and endearing, just like Sungjong's is soft and gentle. Towards the end of the second chorus the music plus Sunggyu's commanding vocals reach the epicness and there's an echo to it to the point that it seems like a kind of final judgement pronounced by God with an air of great authority (I don't even know where I get these similes nor why I suddenly got this image).

The rap probably would seem unnecessary but even in such a passionate and powerful song, it goes well with its sad tone. The little trills that Woohyun does in the background makes it even better. The last part of the song with two choruses is just stormy, dramatic, passionate and intense, angry, fierce, turbulent and tormented (I've finished the adjectives, I think) nothing I've ever heard before in K-Pop and it ends in a liberatory final. It's peculiar that this song was composed in 2011 and it's been hidden since then. Why hide such a masterpiece? And also the title is curious because it refers to the character Maetel in a manga/anime called Galaxy Express 999.

http://blog.onehallyu.com/album-review-infinite-top-seed/

*******************************************

~ I love Jang Dongwoo's solo soooo much. 😍😍