Part 2

Gauri Omkara Singh Oberoi had tried to remain strong. Gauri Omkara Singh Oberoi had strived to be the perfect bahu, the loyal sister and the dutiful wife - a true saathiya'. Gauri Omkara Singh Oberoi had suffered in silence. Gauri Omkara Singh Oberoi had bourn the attacks on her self-respect with a maturity that could be easily, and was easily, mistaken for cowardice. Gauri Omkara Singh Oberoi had put the interests of her husband's family above her own. Gauri Omkara Singh Oberoi had recognised that her elder sister-in-law had first right to speak before her. Gauri Omkara Singh Oberoi avoided challenging Pinky despite her unfounded taunting. Gauri Omkara Singh Oberoi had fallen into the shadows and allowed others to bask in the light.

Gauri Kumari Sharma had finally lost her patience.

Gauri Kumari Sharma was strong. Gauri Kumari Sharma was an independent girl, who had worked from a very young age to support her tiny family, consisting of her mother and herself. Gauri Kumari Sharma was the most loving daughter, a trusted name for all her customers and the Dabangg girl, who never backed down. Gauri Kumari Sharma did not suffer in silence. Gauri Kumari Sharma would rather smack maturity into the nearest stone wall than quietly bear any slander on her self-respect. Gauri Kumari Sharma expected respect with the same sincerity that she bequeathed it on others. Gauri Kumari Sharma had learnt from an early in life that being young in age has no reflection on your capability to handle any situation. Gauri Kumari Sharma had stood up to her violent ChachaJi despite countless beatings at his hand. Gauri Kumari Sharma was like an unstoppable sun, no cloud could hide her away.

So it was that when the Oberoi clan arrived in Bareilly, dressed in matching blue (the women all sharing identical jewellery), as if their clothes were always coordinated to one another ahead of time, to collect their docile bahu, they came across not the wallflower Gauri Omkara Singh Oberoi who existed for little more than untimely comedy, but the cheerful, shades-wearing, movie-dialogue-delivering, bulldozer-chalaoing DabanggRi, who wore bright yellow that clashed with their own clothes and who had been missing for so long. This Gauri did not dissolve into tears at the sight of her in-laws, instead she invited them inside with all the respect allotted to guests and asked them if they wanted anything to eat or drink. She was polite, she was friendly but she was not subservient. When her in-laws refused anything, she did not press them or run to prepare black coffee for Shivaay or arrange a protein shake for Rudra. She did not panic that there were not enough chairs to accommodate them all, but rather let them occupy the available seats and fetched some tap water for them all. When Pinky began to voice her disgust, Gauri simply lifted her glass and began to drink from it herself. This seemed like it would be a long discussion and she hated when her mouth ran dry while talking.

"Gauri putthar, Omkara ne humme sab bata diya hai. Tumhara gussa hona jaayiz hai, lekin tum halaat koh nahin samajh rahi.Gauri dear, Omkara told us everything and your being angry is justified, but you are not understanding." Unsurprisingly, it was Dadi who decided to take the lead. In her short tenure as an Oberoi Bahu, Gauri had learnt that Dadi was quite impulsive - don't let her locks decide you they were most certainly greyed in the sun because the Oberoi matriarch was not (in any definition of the word) wise, after all who else would have welcomed Abhay into the family with open arms shortly after he had declared his hatred for them all. Gauri patiently awaited the upcoming dialoguebaaazi and prayed to Shankari that it would not consist of any meantion of Ishqbaaazi. "Omkara ne joh bhi kiya, humare khandaan ki balayhi ke liye kiya. Woh Shivaay aur Anika ka saath de raha tha, thake woh humme ek bohot badi museebat se bacha sakein. Joh unhe ne kaha, Omkara ne woh hi kiya, phir bhi iss kothe ne tumhara dil dukhaya, iss ke liye woh tum se kaan pakkar kar maafi maangega. Mein khud uss se mangaongi. Ab tu ghar chal putthar. Whatever Omkara did was for the betterment of our family. He was just supporting Shivaay and Anika, so that they could save us from a very big problem. Whatever they said, Omkara did, but still this donkey hurt your feelings and for that he will hold his ears and apologise. I will personally make him. Now you come home, dear."