Chapter 2

Chapter 2

        Was that all a dream? As I stand up, my phone vibrates. I check to see who's calling and it's Liz. I answer the call and immediately ask, "Are you alright?" I can't help but worry. That nightmare felt like it was real. "I'm fine," Liz replied. "Why? What's wrong?" she asked. Hearing her voice over the phone makes me glad. She's safe and alive.

        "Nothing," I replied. "Anyway," Liz began, "would you like to go with me to school?" "I'll get going," I said. "Meet me at the bus stop," Liz said. The call ended. "Maybe it isn't a good idea to go to the bus stop," I tell myself. I brush my teeth, wash my face, and change clothes. I leave the apartment building and see Rob with his car. "Good morning Keith," Rob said. "Are you going out with your car?" I asked. "I'm not sure yet," Rob replied. "You should," I began, "you need to get used to your new car." After a short talk with Rob, I continue walking to the bus stop.

       I can see Liz's silky brown hair get blown by the wind as I walk towards the bus stop. "Good morning," I greeted. "The bus is here," Liz said, "we should get on." I don't feel like we should use the bus. After that nightmare, I might not be able to  use the bus for a whole month. "Hey," I began, "Can we not use the bus?" Liz looked at me with a confused face. "Why?" she asked. "I want to eat breakfast with you at the cafe downtown," I replied. I'm afraid of using the bus; I don't want to experience what happened in that dream.

      "Okay," Liz nodded. We left the bus stop and walked downtown. "I heard the cake in the cafe tastes good," I said. "I love cake," Liz said with a big smile. It looks like I made the right choice. Liz really loves cake. There's no way she can resist going to the cafe. After a few minutes of walking, we finally reached the cafe. There's a few customers inside. We enter the cafe and take a seat. Liz seems to enjoy looking at the menu's cakes while I look at the cafe's television to see what's on.

        As we call the waiter, a man standing in front of the counter started shouting. "Nobody move!" the man said. He pulls out a pistol and points it at the employee behind the cash register. "Hand over all your money!" the man shouted. The customers are all screaming. "Stay down," I told Liz. "Everyone shut up!" the man said. A few customers stop screaming while the others aren't listening. "I'll shoot anyone who screams! Am I clear?" the man said while pointing his gun at the customers. 

        Should I try to take him down? No, don't be an idiot! There's no way I can do that! The man seems to be busy with the cashier. It's too risky to try and take him down. I should probably wait until the cops arrive. The sound of sirens can be heard from the distance. Is that the police? "Who called the cops?" the man said. "Tell me!" he began, "who called the cops?" Everyone is quiet. The man begins looking at every one of us in the cafe. Suddenly, the man grabs my shoulder and points his gun at me.

        "If none of you answer, I'll shoot this kid!" he said. No one answers. This is bad, at this rate, he'll shoot me! I look at Liz who's about to cry. Just when I thought I was about to die, the television begins showing a live broadcast of a crash in an intersection. There are all sorts of vehicles with sirens in it. It looks like a bus got hit by two cars. 

        Is this for real? Didn't this happen in that nightmare? That crash is where Liz died in my nightmare. How can this happen? At least this explains why we heard sirens a while ago. "Let go of him!" Liz shouted as she charged forward. "No!" I shouted, "Stay back!" 

        Liz kept charging forward. The man points his gun at Liz. I need to do something! I try to struggle and free myself from the man. Suddenly, a loud soud deafens me. No, it can't be! I try my best to deny it, but I can see her in front of me. The man shot Liz in the head. Her body falls down as her blood flows, painting the floor with red. I can't hear, but I know the other customers are screaming. Why did this happen? Is this another nightmare? It can't be a nightmare because it feels too real. My heart stops beating and my skin grows cold. Liz is dead, and there was nothing I could do to save her. My strength fades away from my body. "Why?" I ask myself. 

        My vision blurs and my eyes slowly close. I can't see anything except the darkness. Seeing Liz's corpse laying on the floor fills me with terror. I open my eyes and see my room's ceiling. I find myself on the floor. I check the calendar and look at the date. It's the 25th of October. "No way," I mumbled to myself.