The Accident

I sensed it before it happened.

I could see pebbles the size of my fingernail swallowed by the dark abyss just off the edge of the road. The brown and green of the trees blended into the night, but the snow on their branches stood out in a blinding white blur. The ball of cheese in the sky illuminated with the stars, as if mocking us for driving half-blind.

"Hey, can you slow down? I know we're a little late to see mom and dad, but still. The road looks really icy," I said. I darted my eyes back and forth, hoping we would get there in one piece.

"Shut up. I'm not up for hearing mom blabber about showing up late again and I don't want to hear your's. So quit telling me what to do."

"Fine. But don't blame me if something happens." I sat back into the worn car seat, crossed my arms, and pouted.

"Fine," Jac echoed, "...big baby."

"Whatev—"

"Shit. Shit shit shit shit shit!"

"What? What's going on? Why are you saying that?! W-Why are we sliding?" I snapped my head in my brother's direction. His white knuckles grasped the wheel, his back straighter than I've ever seen it, and his eyes wider than that of a doe's.

"Oh my God, what are you doing? Don't you see the turn? It's coming, turn the freaking wheel before we fly off the cliff. Turn, turn, turn!" I yelled straight into his right ear, praying it would shake him out of whatever stupor he was in.

I was staring at his hands; about to reach over to turn the wheel myself, when I saw the front end of the car turn toward the cliff edge. Both our eyes snapped to each other at the same second, reality settling in.

"Jac! Brake; turn the wheel. Do something!" I slapped his arm repeatedly, my heart threatening to burst out of my chest.

His foot came down hard on the brake. The car merely groaned. He jerked the wheel to the right and miraculously, the car straightened out and continued to make the turn. He stamped the break again and the trees are no longer a massive blur. We both let out a sigh.

"Didn't I tell you not to go so freaking fast? But you didn't listen to me. As usual," I throw up my hands at the last word, rolling my eyes so hard that I need to roll my head too.

He doesn't get a word in though.

The car had paused at the top of a hill, as if waiting, before it edged forward, and hit another patch of ice.

I could feel my stomach drop, like it does when a rollercoaster comes down from its highest peak. But this rollercoaster had no operator to press the emergency brakes. There were no safety precautions and the track was ending soon.

None of us made a sound as we barreled down the hill. I was flung forward, about to fly out the window, when the seatbelt dug into my collarbone and yanked me backwards.

We reached out at the same time, clutching each other's hands so tight the blood rushed out of it and my hand turned numb.

I squeezed my eyes shut and waited, our memories rushing back to me.