Prologue

Maximus rushed into the room, scanning the area quickly as his heartbeat quicker, "Come on, Alexis I need to find you." Rushing through the burning building, he noticed a few pups crying in a corner. Mindlinking to his Beta to gather the pups and get them out of the area safely, he began his search for his mate. He searched every door, praying that she was safe , "Moon goddess, please I beg of you, please tell me that she is okay." As he pressed his hand on the door handle of the last room, he felt uneasy of what was behind the door.

Opening the knob slowly, his heart sunk. Laid there was his mate in her own pool of bloold, next lay to her was another alpha dead. A cry escaped his lips, as he rushed to her side pulling her head up gently, slapping her cheek lightly, "Wake up Alexis!", his eyes searching for any form of life on her as her face was drained of any color. Her eyes fluttered open weakly as she let out a soft, hurting breath, "I'm sorry Maxi, I tried everything I could, but I couldn't protect myself or our unborn pup. I wanted to tell you sooner but those damn wolves got in the way." Letting out a heavy breathe, Maximus knew she was losing too much blood.

Thoughts ran through his mind of what his family would look like, small imitations of their children. A boy and a girl. His children, snapping out of his thoughts, Alexis eyes rolled to the back of her head as she began to slip in and out of conscious. "Alexis, baby please, you, you have to stay with me." He shook her gently, tapping her face as his blood stained thumb ran over her cheek. Her heart stopped, and so did his. His body ran numb as tears fell freely down his face. Not only for his mate, but for his pack.

Letting out the most heart-wrenching howl, his beta Lucius came at the door before grabbing his Alpha by the arm pulling him away. Knowing the risks, Maximus screamed and kicked trying to reach for his mate. "Maximus, stop! She's gone. We can't go back for her, the buildings going to come down on us! The pack needs you more than anything, if you can't be there for the pack like she wanted you too, how can you call yourself an alpha?" Maximus's whole body stilled as Lucius pulled him out of the burning building before it collapsed. He lost everything, his mate, his unborn pup, and his future.

______

Maximus Lacrius, the central Alpha of the 5 packs is ruthless, cold, and a cruel alpha. Pushing his pack further into becoming warriors, ever since the loss of his mate. He vowed vengeance against the Eastern pack, for taking away his mate and his unborn pup. Scared of being destroyed and having his heart broken again, he sleeps around with other she wolves, and leaves before dawn comes. His heart had been tainted with darkness,as he vowed to never find another mate. That was until he met HER.

"You're scared of me, aren't you?" Amelia whispered, her heart breaking at how closed off her mate was to her.

"I'm not scared of you, I can't be with you. I'm not rejecting you, Amelia." He groaned in disdain, a frown crossing his face.

"Then why don't you reject me, I rather not continue to wait while you experience pleasure with other females!" Her voice rose laced with hurt, and pain.

A growth etched his lips as he grasped her arms tightly, fearing that if he let go, she'll leave.

"I can't reject you, if I did that I'd have nothing to live for."

__

Amelia Watkins always thought that she would find a loving, and kind mate, but little did she know that should would end up at the mercy of Maximus Lucrius. Amelia suffered a lot of trauma as a child, from losing her parents to the extended abuse of her foster parents. She suffered from amnesia, as she was found in another packs territory cold, and almost seemed death-like. When Maximus comes upon her body, his heart breaks at the sight of the poor girl with bruises and cuts all over her body. Knowing that she was his mate, he always cared for her at a distance as she was always a bit of a clumsy child.

When dark forces compelled the two to work together, will they truly find what they were looking for all along, or will they have the same outcome that caused Maximus to go insane?