Two

The hours passed and passed and I was getting nowhere. I didn't even know where I wanted to go - knowing that would help a lot.

My bedroom was set up like any 18 year old girls room would be - actually that's a lie.

I haven't changed my bedroom since I was in 8th grade. My walls were a light pink colour, the type that you would expect to find on a rose. I had a single bed in the far left corner against the wall with butterfly bedsheets. My window was opposite my bed with hot pink drapes, that blocked out the sunlight when they're closed. The floor was made of dark timber with a fluffy mat beside my bed. I had a desk below the window with papers covering the surface. Yeah so, it's not a typical 18 year old's room but hey, I'm moving out!

I can't wait to design my own home and its interior.

My phone buzzed from my desk, buried underneath the mountain of papers. I searched for it pushing most of the papers on to the floor.

Once I found my phone I picked it up, swiped to answer and held it to my ear.

"Hello"
Hey, Kyah!
"Oh hey Gem, how are you going"
I'm great, girlie. I have some news!
"Same! You go first."
Okay, so... Tim asked me to marry him!

(Gem is my best friend. We went to school together and hung out almost every weekend. She's 2 years older than me but she's immature so we match like puzzle pieces. Tim was her high school boyfriend, they've been together for 4 years.)

"O-M-G. congratulations!!! I'm so excited for you."
I know. You're the first person I've told, and I was hoping, if everything goes right, maybe you'd want to be my maid of honour?
"Yes, I'd love too - but... I'm leaving."
Leaving? Wha-do-ya mean?
"I'm moving out. Far away from here. To another state."
What?
"I only just sorted it out with mum this morning."
Do you know when?
"No not yet, but in sure I'll be there for your wedding. I promise."

We kept on talking for hours and hours and when we ended the call, I couldn't help but to think about the promise I made her.

I promised to be at her wedding.

To me, you never break a promise, it's a a swear on a life. But what if I can't make it?

My laptop had gone to sleep after hours of not using it. I ran my fingers over the touch pad to wake it up and the screen instantly lit up with my screen saver.

I brought up Google and searched:

Most popular American state for young adults.

North Carolina.

I had never been to North Carolina, I didn't know what it looked like or the atmosphere it had. I really didn't care where I was going, as long as there were other people similar age to me and affordable houses.

All I wanted was to make a life for myself.

I searched for properties in North Carolina but they all seemed to be over my budget. I was left to look for an apartment.

After searching for everything I needed, I had formed a plan.

I could take out a loan buy a small apartment for $14,000, apply for a position at a local fashion boutique and play at the local bar. I mean isn't that all I need?

It wasn't long before mom came home, all this work I'd been doing made the hours fly. I had forgotten to eat lunch and I didn't even think about taking my new car for a drive.