Target 6 : Still Hoping

Screams..

A breaking of glass can be heard not too far from where I am. Men who are guarding in front of my office started heading towards the room that #86 kept with. I put down my pen on the table; leaving paperworks that I was supposed to sign, a wave of adrenaline coursed into me, eyes widening from what I'm hearing right now.

"#86 is at her limit!"

"We have to stop!"

"No," One of the superiors calmly said. "Let it be."

I wanted to leave this prison-looking office of mine so I could see what's going on with #86, but the cell doors are shut tight as it said on a small screen beside it.

Italian curses..

My body slightly flinched from the shout, it seems like something has definitely happened..

And I don't even like the sound of it..

Clanging of metals, breaking of glasses, the monitors beeped loudly in a fast pace like my heart does. I was sweating bullets since the time they took her earlier, and I can't help myself but to get worried.

The lights flickered, causing myself to look up with a worried expression on my face. I struggled to regain my composure but it was no use. This is the first time that it happened to me. As a father, I can't let my son see me like this. Not with this kind of expression.. This kind of job...

It's been a few hours.. I thought. Usually, in a few minutes, they're already done with the experiments with her.. What could be wrong this time?

Screams of men interrupted my thoughts. I panicked but kept my posture. #86 is in danger. I have to go and see things out.

"..V-Venanzio..-san..?"

My train of thoughts stopped when I heard a soft; yet worried tone. A Japanese woman in her 30's is at the other side of the cell, she stifled a yawn and went closer to the bars. In a moment, I was kinda glad that I learnt Japanese language from my son. He likes everything about Japan; the history, food, and their culture. I don't have a clue why he is desperate to teach me.

They are bags under her dark brown eyes because of sleepless nights. Her formal dress is not tattered unlike from #86, but it was covered by dust.

"What happened?" She asks.

This is it.. This is the time that I was afraid of. And I thought I could tell her with no hesitation. However, due to our everyday meeting, our bond of friendship has gotten stronger..

She tells me stories about her life, gives an advice if I ever have a problem with my work.. What shocked me is that she's quite positive about everything. She's not being tortured by them, she was kept imprisoned.

"There's.. been a problem with one of the..." I trailed off; looking for a word that fits. "..patients.." I said as I find a way to get out.

Her eyes narrowed slightly, "Patients?" She repeated. Her eyes widened in realization and gasped, "Is my Haru okay?!" I flinched but seem unnoticed by her.

"Now, now, Ms. Miura.." I stood up and went closer to my cell bars. "Please calm down.."

"I've been hearing foreign words that I can't understand! What happened? Please, tell me. What did they said?"

"As one of the workers here in this place," I started. "I honestly don't know what's going on.."

"I-I can tell that it's about my Haru-chan! What happened to her?"