Prologue

"And you promise that we're gonna stay together?" My older brother Jonathan asked our social worker, Amy Brooks. We lost our mom when I was 9 years old, her and her boyfriend Bob were mauled by attack dogs and our dad just got sentenced to 15 years in jail for armed robbery and assault. Now, we're about to move to our first foster family, the Hayburns. From what Amy has told us about them, I know that they have a 3 year old daughter and two dogs. "Yes, of course! We always try to keep siblings together." Amy said as she pulled into a driveway. The house itself looked huge in comparison to our old one. It was a two story, White House with red shutters and a red door. "Okay boy, let's get out." She said as she unlocked the doors. Jonathan climbed out the passenger side and folded down the seat so I could get out. He closed the door behind me and I followed the social worker up the stairs. I turned around to look at the rest of the neighborhood and saw a house down the street that clearly had children. It had a plastic playhouse in the front yard and 3 bikes on their sides. I felt Jonathan put his hands on my shoulders as the door was opened. A short, red haired woman opened the door with a little, blonde haired girl on her hip. "You must be the Buckley boys come on in!" The woman greeted. "It's Byers ma'am." Jonathan corrected. "Well you three can just have a seat on this couch." The woman said as she set down her daughter. "Boys this is Maggie, Maggie these are your new brothers!" She said as she sat on a chair opposite of us. I looked out the window and saw two boys get on their bikes, one holding his as he waved goodbye to them and they took off. The boy had dark, curly hair and a striped shirt. "Now, do you mind telling me your names? I'm Carly." She introduced. "I'm Jonathan and this is my younger brother Will." Jonathan said. I turned my head at the sound of my name as Maggie handed me a blue crayon. It was a really pretty blue, labeled "Summer Rain". "I like this color Maggie." I said to her. She grinned and giggled as she pulled at my hand to sit on the floor with her. I sat down and she handed me a piece of paper while my brother and the adults talked to each other. I put the blue crayon down on my left and drew my new house. I've always been good at drawing, I guess my family was just artistic like that. Jonathan loves photography and our mom loved painting. I don't know much about our dad, he was only ever around when he wanted money. I picked up the Summer Rain Blue crayon and began to draw rain falling, like it was beginning to do right now. "Well boys, let's go get your things." Amy said as she stood from her chair. I stood from the floor, following my brother Jonathan out the door. We walked back down the steps and opened the trunk of Amy's car. We didn't own much, we came from a rather poor family so we only had a duffle bag and a backpack each. I glanced across the street and say the curly headed boy again. I couldn't tell much about him, but I could see that he had wide brown eyes. To be polite I smiled and waved to him. He waved back but then a teenage girl, his sister maybe, poked her head out the door. "Hey dingus, come get dinner!" I could make out from her yell. The boy ran inside just as I walked through the door. We followed Mrs.Hayburn up a flight of stairs and we walked down a long hallway. "Okay, Jonathan this is your room on the right, and Will yours is on the left." She said. I opened the door to my new room and saw a loft bed in the middle on the back wall. To the right of that was a closet, a short yellow dresser sitting next to it. On the left there was a white desk that contrasted to the light blue walls. On the bed were some Star Wars sheets and a simple navy and orange blanket. "When I found out we were getting a 12 year old boy I asked my neighbors what their son liked, so I hope you like Star Wars. If you don't like it than we can change it." Mrs. Hayburn explained. I glanced back at my brother and smiled, I liked it a lot. "He likes it" Jonathan said for me. Currently, there are only two people I talk to, Jonathan, and my best friend Jane Hopper. Jane and I have know each other since we were 2 years old. Jane had already been in the foster care system before she was adopted by the local Sheriff. "That's wonderful!" Mrs. Hayburn said. "Well I'm going to give you two a bit of time to unpack, dinner will be ready in 30 minutes." She said as she walked out, closing the door behind her. "I'm gonna go unpack, I'll see you at dinner." Jonathan told me before going over to his room. As I began to unpack I couldn't help but wonder about the boy across the street. 

A/N: I only edited this chapter. This chapter was written by Isak (@itsisakalexander on Quotev), and we are co-writing this story.